Hello All:

Can someone give me a suggestion about this?

Thanks;

About a month ago my computer started shutting down spontaneously. No prompt from me, no error message, no nothing. It does give a warning thus; System shutting down. please save all work. That's it.
About 3 months ago the power light went to blinking but that only happened maybe 5 times and it hasn't occurred since.
Are these two issues related?
Any ideas on the issues individually?
What would be the correct forum to ask these questions in?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Dear There Are Multiple Of Reason For That.
The Common One Is Virus Which Attached In Start-up-Items On YOur PC And Affect It.
Or May Be It Is Due To Terminating The Critical Process Like csrss.exe Or svchost.exe In OS From Task Manager.

Hope You Get It?
If Not Post Me!

It might be due to HEAT in the tower,that causes reboots....

Try cleaning inside around all fans,etc and see if it continues!

Welcome to daniweb :)

Look in Event Viewer/System/application for possible clues.

Dear Rleeq!
This usuallu happens due to virus which arrived almost a year ago but that's not the only reason for that it can be caused by the error in some hardware especially ram try changing your ram or try defragmenting your hard drive also make sure that if some has set a timer that automatically turns off your matchine..

Hi there,

So you said that you are getting a warning, hmm, that sounds familiar. Try the following (at your own risk):

Try this command just to chek if this is the same warning that your getting before the shutdown.

shutdown /s
Then hit enter.
This will cause the system to shut down.
Then use the same command but use the /a swith intead:
shutdown /a
Then hit enter, this will prevent the system from shuting down.

Please let me know if that is the same warning MSG

Best regards and good luck!

I think it might be over heat. I do have a machine with these synthom

If you get this message you must fast double click on your clock in taskbar and change set some previous date or just move back one hour to get some time to see what is happening

Open Control Panel, In the Control Panel double click System. then go the system Properties window, click on the Advanced tab. Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.
In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
clcik k twice. now when the system shuts down you will get a BSOD it will tell you the error. However, if you are getting the message in this picture then you have a trojan/virus/malware

Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas.
BobbyRaw...That is the exact message I am getting.
I don't know if it is significant but in the second part of the message it says:

"Robot initiated by Allair ClusterCats IP Alias Daemon due to an IP Address Conflict."

Because the shut down happens so quickly I can not access the even control panel to do as you suggested.
So this begs the question; If it is a Trojan/virus or such and the system shuts down so quickly, how do I do to get the virus of the machine? Is there a software that will run from disk which will load immediately on reboot? If so what is it please and where can I get a copy.

Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas.
BobbyRaw...That is the exact message I am getting.
I don't know if it is significant but in the second part of the message it says:

"Robot initiated by Allair ClusterCats IP Alias Daemon due to an IP Address Conflict."

Because the shut down happens so quickly I can not access the even control panel to do as you suggested.
So this begs the question; If it is a Trojan/virus or such and the system shuts down so quickly, how do I do to get the virus of the machine? Is there a software that will run from disk which will load immediately on reboot? If so what is it please and where can I get a copy.

Hi there,

You can use the command I old you in order to prevent the system from restarting:
"shutdown /a" at the Run window.

The best fast thing to do would be a system format, if you do so, make sure to backup your drivers.

Hi there,

You can use the command I old you in order to prevent the system from restarting:
"shutdown /a" at the Run window.

The best fast thing to do would be a system format, if you do so, make sure to backup your drivers.

All right I did as you suggested. The results were the same with the exceptiion that this time a DOS window opened. A line of something flashed across this window far to fast to read. In the title bar was;

"Windows\system32\shutdown.exe" in the title bar.

Does the:

reference in the second part of the shutdown screen give any indication of what's happening? I mean other than that the shutdown was initiated by that program.

As for a format, the system shuts down far to quickly for backing up anything much less doing a system backup.

Are there no tools that I can load from a floppy or cd which can override the virus and take control of the full system in order to root out the virus.

You can go to RUN and type shutdown.exe -a and press enter. This will cancel the shutdown procedure. Then, copy and paste the above command (ctrl+c, ctrl+v). You have to be quick and I recommend using shortcuts, otherwise your computer will always shut down. To go to run quickly, press the WINDOWS key and the letter R. (next to ctrl and alt) on the left side of your keyboard. paste and give it an enter every time that window appears.

That, perhaps, will give you the opportunity to go to softpedia.com and download/install Avast! 4 Home Edition. It's free and the good thing is that after the installation, it will restart and scan before booting the operating system.

That way, the malware wil be caught and deleted before it will be ran. Let me know if this works for you and if you have more concerns about it,

-Dan

If you don't mind losing all of your files, then just reinstall windows and youll be virus free!

You can go to RUN and type shutdown.exe -a and press enter. This will cancel the shutdown procedure. Then, copy and paste the above command (ctrl+c, ctrl+v). You have to be quick and I recommend using shortcuts, otherwise your computer will always shut down. To go to run quickly, press the WINDOWS key and the letter R. (next to ctrl and alt) on the left side of your keyboard. paste and give it an enter every time that window appears.

That, perhaps, will give you the opportunity to go to softpedia.com and download/install Avast! 4 Home Edition. It's free and the good thing is that after the installation, it will restart and scan before booting the operating system.

That way, the malware wil be caught and deleted before it will be ran. Let me know if this works for you and if you have more concerns about it,

-Dan

Actually, I followed your instructions in your first post. I tried to do the shutdown.exe /a and the shut down didn't happen until I tried to open something. Then the sys went ahead and shut down anyway. I have no idea why. I did get the sys stable though by restoring it to a previous date. I am downloading the avast program and will let you know if it gets the virus out.

I believe that the problem has been solved. I went looking farther-a-field and found some interesting comments in another forum. In one I found some comments about the error message. suggesting that the internet address conflict might be being caused by Cold Fusion which I Had on my machine. That uninstalling the program may help solve the conflict. So that is what I did. I uninstalled CF and went into the program manager and removed all occcurances of the program. And Wa-La the system rebooted without any more problems. I did download and install the Avast Anti-Virus program. Interestingly when I ran it no occurances of ANY virus showed and I am VERY happy about that.
So thanks for all the offered advice anyway. For what it's worth here is the like that gave me the idea about CF.
http://www.frameip.com/nntp/comp-os-ms-windows-networking-tcp-ip/11250-comp-os-ms-windows-networking-tcp-ip-troubleshooting-xp-tcp-ip.htm

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.