Hello All!:

First of all i would like to say that my knowledge as far as computer is Average. Meaning i have never built a computer from scratch. I am just very knowledgable in regards to applications and softwares within the operating system.

My current Specs are:

Motherboard: Soyo SY-K7VKPE (Socket Type - A)
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Soyo-Computer-Inc-VIA-KT600-AMD-Socket-A-V2

Chipset: VIA VT8377 Apollo KT600

CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP, 1000MHz (10 x 1000)
CPU Alias - Barton
L2 - 512KB

System Memory: 2048MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

VideoCard: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 - 256MB

My question is, I want to upgrade to the highest possible Processor that is compatible with my motherboard. Any recomendations? I cant seem to find one or maybe im not looking in the right place...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Doesnt matter tho, they dont make the socket types anymore for my MB... Upgrade MB here i come! ahhhhhhhhhhhh :(

I thought you new that ,I thought you were just looking for the biggest cpu the old board would take,without buying a new board .
You will likely need a new power supply ,new video card[unless it has onboard video] ,new Ram ,as the new boards will not take you old stuff ,except maybe the power supply if it has enough wats!

I thought you new that ,I thought you were just looking for the biggest cpu the old board would take,without buying a new board .
You will likely need a new power supply ,new video card[unless it has onboard video] ,new Ram ,as the new boards will not take you old stuff ,except maybe the power supply if it has enough wats!

Yeah that was my original intent but it seems that old AMD procesors are super highly priced. It almost seems more reasonable to just get new MD, CPU & RAM.

I appreciate your help tho! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.