Hi ladies and gents,

yep, I'm an old lady accountant who's got the blue screen of death.

Can anybody help me get past this? I have been laid off, got no dough and need my laptop. I'm using a friends computer to plead for help.

I need my laptop.

Please help.

JL

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If you can find any solutions, it is best to bring it in the shop, maybe Geek squad. I'm not a comp person, so my advice on that would be to seek a professional in case. Good luck.

what kind of laptop is it

which windows version is it

what is the error on the blue screen

what kind of laptop is it

which windows version is it

what is the error on the blue screen

It's a DEll M140

XP

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prebvent damave to your computer.
If this is the first time you've see this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0X00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A67D098, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

when it boots up tap F8 repeatedly until you get to a menu. choose "safe mode". Tell me whether the system boots in that mode or not. (if it does, then it means the problem lies with a device driver - safe mode only loads standard windows drivers, which is why it looks a bit crappy and is slow) If the problem is indeed a device driver, try using system restore (you will be prompted when entering safe mode) to restore to an earlier date (before the problem began)

J bennet. No luck with either remedy.

J bennet. No luck with either remedy.

Have u tried to boot in safe mode ?..

have you made any changes to your computer lately (downloads, install new software or hardware, delete anything) anything like that?

do you have your windows xp cd? you might be able to recover from this issue with it or when you press F8 do you have an option to enter the recovery console.

If you don't then you still might be able to set the computer back to the factory default settings. this would cause you to lose everything on the hard drive, but you can install the hard drive on a different computer as a slave and save all of your important data.

Hi Jen Lee
get hold of your windows xp cd.insert it in your cd/dvd drive. make your cd/dvd your first boot(ask someone to help you if you have difficulty)hit enter when asked to boot from cd and in Recovery Console perform a chkdsk on your hard drive
---ask someone to assist you if you not comfortable---
good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.