I have a SATA DVD drive thats not working. I have an IDE drive on hand and wanted to use it for now. My MOBO is an ASUS P5B-Deluxe. There is only ine IDE header on this MOBO and one IDE cable included in the box that the MOBO came in and it's labled HDD but am I to assume that it can be used for my optical drive? The cable has three connections on it, blue ( to MOBO ) then the other end has a black plug on the end and down from the it has a gray plug. I assume that the black one is for master and the gray one is for slave. My question is, which one do I use for my DVD drive? Master or slave? Or does it mattrer at all because my HDD is using one of the SATA plugs.

Thanks;

Dougie

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

that cable will work, just make sure to set the drive to master or cable select and plug the black end into the drive

you should be good to go

I have a SATA DVD drive thats not working. I have an IDE drive on hand and wanted to use it for now. My MOBO is an ASUS P5B-Deluxe. There is only ine IDE header on this MOBO and one IDE cable included in the box that the MOBO came in and it's labled HDD but am I to assume that it can be used for my optical drive? The cable has three connections on it, blue ( to MOBO ) then the other end has a black plug on the end and down from the it has a gray plug. I assume that the black one is for master and the gray one is for slave. My question is, which one do I use for my DVD drive? Master or slave? Or does it mattrer at all because my HDD is using one of the SATA plugs.

Thanks;

Dougie

Yes, You'r right, the black is master and the gray slave, and if you DVD is a DVD-RW, is more convenient put in master or cable select and use the black conector but only if you conect a IDE HD, you need to conect like slave or gray in cs.

In the case of SATA DVD, only you need to go into the BIOS config and check the options for SATA and select CD, DVD Drive.
The menu generaly have this options, IDE, E-SATA, AUTO, CD, DVD drive.
I hope this give you help.

Ok Thanks Guy's. I think I have it sorted out in my head :) I find that some of the manual is difficult to reaad/understand.

My DVD burner is an LG GSA-H55N. The jumper has 3 selections: C-S-M, I assume C is cable select, S is slave and M is for master. I'm familiar with the terms master and slave and their function, but what is cable select? Does that mean that it will select it automatically?

What the manual actually says is: For single device - cable select or master use the black plug. So I assume I use the black because I'm only using one device on the IDE connector on the MOBO.

I guess my questions and confusion were that because I have a HDD connected that the DVD drive would have to be the slave LOL!! But I think that because the HDD is a SATA and uses one of the SATA ports that they are 2 different animals. If I was using a IDE HDD it would be different and the DVD would have to be set to slave.

Sorry for so many questions and I hope I'm not confusing everybody :)

Dougie

thats right sounds like you got it

But what is the function of cable select?

Dougie

if both are cable selec, the first one on the cable will automatically set itself to master, and the second one on teh cable to slave

dont use CS though. It can lead to issues.

Hi to all.

Dougie, if you hard disk is SATA, doesn't matter if you conect master, slave or cable select the IDE DVD (IDE now is named PATA Parallel ATA), because is the only one device conected in there.

Respect the cable select, is the same $%&· thing, only the cable inside have a cut and that is the way to recognize master or slave and is not the motherboard how deside who is who. simple, is a common law is science, simple-better.

Only if you connect in the future a IDE HD, you need to send the DVD to slave or in cable select in gray conector.

that's all.

See ya

Thank you all very much for your help, it's perfectly clear in my mind now. I meant to get this drive installed this weekend but got busy with other stuff..... will do it next weekend.

I would be happy if I could get SATA DVD drives to work with this MOBO which was my first choice. I've tried many different optical drives, Plextor, LG, Pioneer etc and all of them had problems working with the P5B MOBO. I just gave up and decided to use an IDE drive.

Dougie

I would be happy if I could get SATA DVD drives to work with this MOBO all of them had problems working
Dougie

what kind of problems did you have trying to hookup a sata optical drive

have a SATA DVD drive thats not working. I have an IDE drive on hand and wanted to use it for now. My MOBO is an ASUS P5B-Deluxe. There is only ine IDE header on this MOBO and one IDE cable included in the box that the MOBO came in and it's labled HDD but am I to assume that it can be used for my optical drive? The cable has three connections on it, blue ( to MOBO ) then the other end has a black plug on the end and down from the it has a gray plug. I assume that the black one is for master and the gray one is for slave. My question is, which one do I use for my DVD drive? Master or slave? Or does it mattrer at all because my HDD is using one of the SATA plugs.

have a SATA DVD drive thats not working. I have an IDE drive on hand and wanted to use it for now. My MOBO is an ASUS P5B-Deluxe. There is only ine IDE header on this MOBO and one IDE cable included in the box that the MOBO came in and it's labled HDD but am I to assume that it can be used for my optical drive? The cable has three connections on it, blue ( to MOBO ) then the other end has a black plug on the end and down from the it has a gray plug. I assume that the black one is for master and the gray one is for slave. My question is, which one do I use for my DVD drive? Master or slave? Or does it mattrer at all because my HDD is using one of the SATA plugs.

do you have a question, or do you just like copying from other post

Hi caperjack;

I'm not sure whats going on here. This was "my" original posting. I cant find the original thread now for this question. The last I heard was a posting from you last weekend asking me what problem I was having with my Sata DVD drive with this MOBO and I had not replyed to it yet as I had not had the time, and now I get an email notification for this.

Dougie

i was replying to a new poster ,not you , see post #11

what kind of problems did you have trying to hookup a sata optical drive

The hookup was the easy part lol!! Since I put this computer together, originally everything seemed to work OK including my sata DVD drive. During the first month I was in the process of ripping my collection of audio CD's to my hard drive. Soon after when listening to my music in Windows Media Player 10 I noticed that I was getting errors on several tracks and would put a red x beside the section. I wasn't sure at first what the problem was but the problem got worse from there, eventually telling me that my music files were corrupted. So I dumped the media player and re-installed it only to have the files showing errors again.

I wen't to control panel / administrative tools / event viewer and I discovered that there were many errors showing for ATAPI device so I knew then that my DVD drive wasn't reading properly and thats where the errors were comming from. I went through the whole process of swapping out DVD drives but they all produced errors. I even at one point re-installed XP Pro but even the installation had errors in it. I tried to do another re-install but by now the errors were getting worse.

In frustration I took my computer to the tech guys at Canada Computers where I bough all of my components. They couldn't get Xp to install at all. They seemed to think that the sata controller might be defective so I emailed ASUS and RMA'd the board. They didn't test my mobo at all and didn't tell me if that was the problem, they just sent me a new mobo.

I installed the new mobo and installed XP but within about one week I was getting errors from my DVD drive again. Now when I put a CD in or try to run a program the drive dosent even spin up and the LED just keeps blinking. Thats when I decided to go and purchase an IDE drive to see if that will work, but havent done so yet as I've been working a lot but hope to try it this weekend.

I have read somewhere that Win XP has a problem with SATA DVD drives, something to do with the registry, that you have to do an edit there, I heard the word " checksum " whatever that means. I didn't want to go there as I've never edited the registry before and didn't want to screw something up lol!! Hav you heard of this issue before?

Dougie

soory ,no i haven't ,but trying a different sata drive would be best to help sort it out ,not a IDE drive

Usng an IDE drive would at least mean that I will have a drive thats working while I sort the SATA issue out lol!!

I was hoping to find someone on this forum that was having similar issues with the ASUS P5B Deluxe with the ICH8R chipset...

I must say that this is the worst / only problem in years that I have not been able to solve!!

Thanks for your help...

Dougie

Usng an IDE drive would at least mean that I will have a drive thats working while I sort the SATA issue out lol!!

yest it would ,but trying another sata drive would tell you if you actually have a problem or just a bad dvd drive wouldn't it .

I think that I mentioned before that I have tried several different SATA optical drives already to no avail. Thanks for the link, i glanced at it and it is a ery long thread lol and I will read it all this week, time permitting.

Dougie

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.