I have recently purchased the 'Iriver ihp-120'. After putting music onto it I try to eject the device by clicking on the 'Safly Remove Hardware' icon in the system tray and click on stop and it says "Device 'generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later". This message keeps coming up and i'm scared to remove the iriver unless the computer is off. Is there any way of stopping the generic volume so i can remove the device? I am using windows XP if it's relivant.

Please help,
Wil

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have had this a few times with cheap memory sticks (USB, obviously).

The newer and larger capacity memory sticks are fine, but some older or cheaper ones dont like it atall.
Seems the file system doesnt like large files. Although it works fine with lots of little files.
It may be a hardware problem (file system perhaps?) or it could be a driver problem. Either way the device essentially 'crashes' and shows a continual writing LED.
Not noticing this of course i go to stop the device and remove it and get the error message mentioned above. So i just give up eventually and take it out.
Upon re-attaching the device, the file i was writing to it is corrupt. So i delete it and its all happy again.
I dont know a hell of alot about the file system used in these devices but it started off on 16mb devices so there must be some kind of limits to it (whatever they may be).
Wether its fragmented and struggling to write the file, i dont know. But try smaller files, or try cleaning out the tiny files if you simply must put large files on it.

Oh and of course, make sure your Windows XP is up to date with all patches etc.

Best of luck :)

1: Disable the Recycle Bin for your Iomega Drive:

1. Right-click the Recycle Bin and select Properties.
  2. Click the Configure drive independently option.
  3. Click the Iomega drive tab.
  4. Click the Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediatly when deleted option.

WARNING:Files deleted from the Iomega drive will no longer be in the recycle bin, but will be deleted immediatly.

1. Click the OK button.

2: Try turning off System Restore (Me, XP):
Windows XP (You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this)

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Click the System Restore tab.
  3. Click to select the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box).
  4. Click Apply.
  5. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
  6. Click OK.

Windows Me

1. Click Start, Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click the System icon. The System Properties dialog box appears.

NOTE: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options" to display it.

1. Click the Performance tab, and then click File System.
  2. Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check Disable System Restore.
  3. Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.

3: Turn off your computer, then unplug your drive:
In some cases you may need to shut down your computer then unplug the drive.

that way didn't work for me. what can I do now?

How can I Closed generic volume?Because it in use..
:But I did not open any program..

help me plzz..
:(

†JAm†

Cannot install flash drive driver. -File not found- error during installation of generic volume.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.