Mother-in-law just brought me a laptop that will not power up. It has been my experience in the past that mother board and/or processor is fried. I have checked the power cord and varified voltage to the computer but still getting no lights or fan. It is my opinion in this case that the motherboard is toast. Can anyone give any other reason that this machine might not power up?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

did you remove the battery and try turning it on ,also try removing the ram and try turning it on with out it in the laptop .

did you remove the battery and try turning it on ,also try removing the ram and try turning it on with out it in the laptop .

Unfortunately, I have tried both. I have used my personal dell power cord and a universal power adapter with no luck. NO lights, fan, or any indication I am getting power to the unit. Thanks for the reply.

doesn't sound good

I tend to agree. I have already started looking for parts on ebay. looks to be around 100 dollars for a case with motherboard. Maybe a little less.

I tend to agree. I have already started looking for parts on ebay. looks to be around 100 dollars for a case with motherboard. Maybe a little less.

you have to look at the age of the laptop and the price of parts compared to price of new cheap laptop ,
maybe be a good decision ,but may be some stupid little thing and not the board, but my experience ,not being a laptop repair pro, no way of knowing unless you try known working parts.
I have a laptop that gets hot in the area of the cpu ,and lcd goes nuts ,i tried a new heatsinc/fan ,no go ,new cpu no go ,so i gave up ! it just sits on the shelf .
Canada ,e-bay .
http://cgi.ebay.ca/MOTHERBOARD-FOR-DELL-INSPIRON-3800-LAPTOP-02504W_W0QQitemZ150256230693QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60265QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You might try making sure the heatsink is getting good contact with the cpu. Just a thought.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.