See i am thinking about building my first computer... i dont have the money yet but i know people hear are profesionals and all and know wat there doing.. so if you can.. tell me wat i can read to know some basics of a computer and also if you can tell how much it will cost of i want these statistics..

* 1.5 GHz processor or higher
* 256MB of RAM or more
* 64MB 3D Graphics card, such as Nvidia(R) GeForce(TM) 3 or above
how much will it cost or how much you think it will cost for all the items???

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

hi mate

well if you manage to find thesw components new(which i doubt) it will probably cost you less than 100$.....

You are planning to get a 3d grphics card with a system ram of 256mb or more. I d say make it around 1gb ram at least. But then again what do u plan to do with ur computer, is it for gaming or jsut general use???

You should be able to get good spec items for around £200-250. Then there is always potental to upgrade.

Raj

To build the system described you'd probably be looking at around $100 with used parts on ebay. You'll have a very hard time finding a 1.5Ghz cpu and a 64mb graphics card new.

Check out Newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, pricewatch.com, ect,... to check out prices on modern hardware. I built a bottom line system for a client a few weeks ago for about $350(USD) with a 160GB HDD, 2GB of ram, dual core CPU, decent integrated graphics, DVD burner, legit OS, ect. but I know you could trim about $100 off of this if you really wanted too, or more if you had some of the parts laying around (case, HDD, optical drive, would be the most common components to recycle.)

If you post a price range and/or features you'd like I'd be happy to put together a hardware list with prices and post it for you.

hey thanks i thought about it... but this is wat i got tell me if it works or not

Rosewill R223-P-BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
80mm Fans: No
120mm Fans: 1 x 120mm rear fan
Your Price:$25.99

Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) System Specific Memory Model KTM4982/1G - Retail

EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ8080S 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Your Price:$34.99

ECS GF8200A (V1.0) AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Your Price:$69.99

proscces:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF - Retail
Your Price:$76.99

ZOTAC ZT-76TE250-FSL GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
$59.99

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S202J - OEM
Your Price:$22.99

hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included - Retail

$342.92 i can still pay for that i think???

I wouldn't buy that Hard drive, go for a seagate or western digital, you'll probably save $10 by going with excelsior which is WAY less than the trouble if you ever have a data loss from the cheap drive. Also consider a 160GB drive, 80's are the least cost effective drive currently on the market, you can double the size for $10 more.

I'm not sure how much of a difference in performance you'd see from the integrated 8200 to a dedicated 7600, if you wont be gaming you might consider skipping the video card for now and buying one when your finances are better or you've done more research (if you even think you need it after you've used the integrated for a while.

I'm not a fan of ECS, I'd recomend MSI or ASUS, but there's nothing wrong with the board you picked out.

Buy ddr2800 (pc6400) ram. It's the same price within a dollar or two.

Over all, everything would work and it will perform pretty well. If you're installing Vista you might have to put in a second ram stick before too long, but that's dependent on your usage. I'm going to assume you have a legit OS laying around (I certainly didn't when I built my first system, but these things were easier in the win98 days), but if not you should add that to the budget.

PS: I looked it up, you get pretty noticeable performance increase with that card, but if you wont be playing games (or running the vista aero features) I'd still suggest setting the video card aside for now, especially if you need to add an OS to the budget.

ASUS EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core clock: 600MHz
Stream Processors: 96
Memory Clock: 1800MHz
DirectX: DirectX 10
OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
DVI: 2
TV-Out: HDTV / S-Video Out
Model #: EN9600GSOTOPHTDP384M
Item #: N82E16814121251
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Your Price:$109.99

i can switch to this

lol i didnt want to say it but the computer is for the new runescape graphics i want to make a computer for my own an then have it be fast also

If you need it for graphics you need a good card.

That's a great card, if it's in your price range. It's always god to talk about what you need from the start, rather than just what you think will do the job, don't worry about how it sounds, nerds love giving advice.

Any other questions or do you think you're set?

--a helpful nerd---

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.