Hey guys,

Need some advice.

I recently upgraded some components in my PC. Here is my current setup-

1) Q6600 Intel Quad Core (2.4 GHz)
2) 4 GB DDR2 PC-4200 memory
3) NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT video card
4) Stock hard drive (7200 rpm SATA 3 GB/sec)

I want more speed out of my system. Mainly, the computer is used for web design (use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, FileZilla, etc a lot), as well as watching movies and the usual...
I don't play games on the computer much (that's what god invented the PS3 for!), so that isn't a consideration for me.

With my current setup, would I see bigger gains by upgrading to a 15000 rpm hard drive, or would it be better to get a motherboard and better memory and overclock the Quad Core?
After looking around, I saw that it is fairly easy to OC the q6600 to around 3.4-3.6 GHz....so I guess basucally what I'm asking is which would make the computer run faster overall, the hard drive or the OC'd processor?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What speed FSB do you have on your current board? I am betting you Quad Core is sitting idle the majority of the time.

Also when is the last time you defragged you HDD?

Still have the stock motherboard, which has a FSB of 1066 MHz. If I overclock, I'll upgrade to a board that supports 1333MHz.

Also, I defrag regularly, usually once a week.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.