my hubby's computer died and can't get it to restart. it has vista on it it is a hp the hard drive just beeps and nothing. can you please help or tell me where to find help?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

long beeps, short beeps or one continuous beep?

long beep: short somwhere
short beeps: memory
continuous beep: video card

short beeps like when you hold a key down too long

count the beeps for us.

1 Short Beep Normal POST, computer is ok.
2 Short Beep POST error, review screen for error code.

Continuous Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.
Repeating Short Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

my assumption here is you shorted somehow, check and make sure the box is properly grounded and that there are no metal loose items inside the box touching the mothorboard and that the MB is not touching the case.

One Long and one Short Beep Motherboard issue.
One Long and Two Short Beeps Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry) issue.
One Long and Three Short Beeps. Video (EGA) Display Circuitry.
Three Long Beeps Keyboard / Keyboard card error. One Beep, Blank or Incorrect Display Video Display Circuitry.

memory is fine..put mine in his and his in my computer.. was 3 quick short and several short beeps friend says may be hard drive? her answer to everythign tho

8 step process to computer repair.

1: make sure pc is plugged in tightly and directly to a wall outlet (extensions are often not properly grounded)
2:look inside the box and make sure no loose wires, cables, screws are touching the MB
3: look at the ends of each of the connectors from the power suply and make sure they are not touching loose metal and the ones plugged in are tight
4: make sure all cards are seated properly and tight.
5: remove the memory and test it in a secondary machine
6: remove the video card and test it in a second machine (video card short outs are the most common)
7:do the same with the sound card and each card that is in a slot.
8: take the whole machine to a certified shop for full inspection and repair job.

chances are it will end up being either a short from the power supply or the video card.
What was the last thing the computer was doing before it shut down/

friend says may be hard drive?

computers will boot through POST without a HDD. a failing HDD will rarely cause POST error beeps

was the video card. was loose or something but is fine now. I made sure all was tight as you said and restarted it and it works like a dream now. Thank you very much for yuor help.

Glad I could help, glad your machine is back in working order (buying a new one is never fun or cheap)

good Casper_wang

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.