I had a system built not too long ago, and have not tried burning any CDs till earlier ago. I don't know what exactly is wrong, but when I try burning, the CD burner would stall the program and all I hear is the disc or something spinning, but nothing's happening. I can't stop the process, and the entire system lags up. Is it a software/driver or hardware issue, and are there things I can try to fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I had a system built not too long ago, and have not tried burning any CDs till earlier ago. I don't know what exactly is wrong, but when I try burning, the CD burner would stall the program and all I hear is the disc or something spinning, but nothing's happening. I can't stop the process, and the entire system lags up. Is it a software/driver or hardware issue, and are there things I can try to fix this?

Make sure that DMA is turned on for the drive. It is not turned on by default under Win98, for example--this will cause no end of problems. Let us know which version of the operating system you are using, and we will walk you through it.

DMA? Ah, I'm using XP Pro.

DMA? Ah, I'm using XP Pro.

It's under Device Manager. Look for the "IDE\ATAPI Controllers," and double click the "Primary IDE" selection.

You should see a "Settings" tab on the top of the window that pops up. Click it. Make sure both channels are set to "DMA Enabled." Do the same for "Secondary IDE."

If they are, then you may have software issues.

Ack, I knew I messed up the url.
http://onigiri.org/hondatohru/lackofprimaryide.gif

If it doesn't show up again, the only thing under IDE ATA/ATAPI is "NVIDIA nForce(TM) IDE Controller"

What's the version of your nForce drivers? You should have a Primary and Secondary IDE channel regardless of your system, unless it is disabled in the BIOS.

And I noticed that you have a SCSI or RAID controller. What's hidden under there?

And how is the burner physically plugged into the motherboard? You have two IDE connections on your motherboard. Would be ideal to have a hard drive or two on IDE1, and your optical drives on IDE2

I checked the driver info, and noticed it was way long due for an update (from 2002). Went straight to the site and got the newest driver, and although it said it didn't include updates for IDE, the Primary/Secondary IDE channels appeared under the nFORCE IDE controller. Also tested to see if it'll burn now..and it does. ^_^ Thank you very much for your help and your patience with me.

I checked the driver info, and noticed it was way long due for an update (from 2002). Went straight to the site and got the newest driver, and although it said it didn't include updates for IDE, the Primary/Secondary IDE channels appeared under the nFORCE IDE controller. Also tested to see if it'll burn now..and it does. ^_^ Thank you very much for your help and your patience with me.

Ah. :)

Happy burning then!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.