Has anyone found a way to read Jaz discs into a Mac iBook (mine being G3 White, two USB ports). That is by using the SCSI-USB adapter cable to get into the iBook. The Jaz drive and the adapter cable are both said to be for iMacs and Power Macs...and the iBook, it occurs to me, is NOT a "Power Mac" so something is missing, as the Jaz drive won't mount on the iBook desktop. Tried it also on an old Clamshell iBook too. I have OS9.1 on the Clamshell, and OS9 and OSX on the new White iBook. Is there some way I can do this to get my backed-up data (from my dead Wallstreet Powerbook) which now is imprisoned on my Jaz discs? Anyone?

All the best,

Bob Bridge
rbridge3@earthlink.net

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

How much data is on the Jaz disk(s)? Is the hard drive faulty on the Wallstreet?

Hello,

OS X has always been a bit IFFY on SCSI support... I have a G3 powerbook, the Lombardi, and certain things on SCSI do not work, and certain things do work. I typically go into OS 9 if I need to do SCSI work.

Will your iBook load OS9? If so, give it a try. Your Jazz might work properly.

If memory serves, a Jaz removable disk held 1 GB of data or so.

Christian

How much data is on the Jaz disk(s)? Is the hard drive faulty on the Wallstreet?

The JAZ discs are the 1Gb discs. The hard drive is not faulty, and we are able to get data from it, to an external display. But this is very intermittent due to failures in the display sections of the Powerbook. But all the HD data is already on the Jaz discs, and all I need to do is play them into a Mac that is compatible with IOMEGA's Jaz product. Which apparenty, iBooks are not. The Powerbook Wallstreet is a "power mac' and was compatible, as are iMacs, but iBooks are somehow different than their big brother 'power macs' so the Jaz won't talk to the iBook.

Bob

Hello,

OS X has always been a bit IFFY on SCSI support... I have a G3 powerbook, the Lombardi, and certain things on SCSI do not work, and certain things do work. I typically go into OS 9 if I need to do SCSI work.

Will your iBook load OS9? If so, give it a try. Your Jazz might work properly.

If memory serves, a Jaz removable disk held 1 GB of data or so.

Christian

Christian: thanks much for your thoughts. But the issue is not OSX, as I would use OS9 anyway, as Jaz predates OSX and my iBook runs either, so I would select OS9. The issue is the hardware itself, ie., the iBook which is apparently in some way inferior to the more advance Macs, ie., the Powerbooks, iMacs, etc. which are all "Power Macs" and the somewhat inferior iBook isn't. JAZ and IOMEGA say their Jaz products are compatible with 'iMacs and Power Macs" ...which excludes iBooks...so I'm looking for some way to overcome the iBook limitation, whatever that is. If I could find a Power Mac in town that I could borrow, I could make copies of CD's or something that would then run on my iBook but so far can not find a Mac here that I can use to extract this data. (I'm in the Florida Keys.)

Bob

Although you already have the data backed up to your Jaz storage, I think is it easier to remove the internal HD from the G3 and place it into a firewire enclousure. You can pick these up at any major electronics store.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.