Hi, everyone! I've just stumbled across this forum in my search for information on which to base a new computer purchase, so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong area. I've been looking at the Acer TravelMate 290 notebook computer Best Buy has on sale for $1099 (after $200 rebate). It has a 1.3 GHz Intel Centrino processor, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, DVD-RW, and 15 inch screen. I was wondering if any of you could tell me about your experiences with or things you've heard about Acer computers in general or about this particular model. I've heard of Acer but not about Acer, so I'm in the process of becoming an informed consumer. Thanks for any help you all can give, and I'm sorry if this is not the kind of issue that's supposed to be addressed in this forum. Take care!

Rob

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

My first box was an Acer. My sister owns one as well, for whatever reason.

I haven't really heard anything bad about the Travelmates, but you may want to price out a comparable system with HP or Dell. Just go to their websites and use their online configuration tools, or whatever they're called.

I actually sell acer laptops. We have very very few problems and all customers seem to be happy as they tend to be good value for money.

If you do have a problem beware. I have a Travlemate 280 and am trying to find out information on the motherboard. No information on the acer site explaining what I need to know and the support team cant even tell me. They say the machine is to old and they dont support it anymore. Heck its a Windows XP based computer how old can it be. Just beware acer support is not good at all.

hello Thnks for the help in advance i am a newbie on the board. I was wondering about acer as i was about to buy from qvc they seem to have a fairly good deal on them. I am a Over The Road truck driver and was just wondering how good they are? Need to run my GPS and Logbook on it. should I just buy another Toshiba? And not mess with the Acer Thnks

hi, i have used acer computer for years but have not xperience any problem. but with the travelmate i have a negative idea abt it and if you like u culd try the acer aspire it the most comfortable acer pc i have ever use.

I have had endless problems with service follow-up with Acer. I am inclined to believe that the product is good but the service really sucks. Since I purchased my notebook in August 2007 I have had two crashes and several software problems and this started two days after purchasing. Basically the machine has never really worked properly and I end up lugging a crashed system around the world with me. Acer won't take responsibility for any of this. I bought it to travel with. I hardly use it otherwise.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.