I own a HP system, I don't usually buy brand name systems but this system had all that I required.

It came with a 500gig HD (Sata) and preinstalled Vista Premium and no backup disks. The harddrive has a factory recovery partition, unfortunately to recover my system using this partion also requires re-installing all the trial software the system came with.

I've downloaded all the chipset drivers pertaining to my machine and burnt them to a cd.

Among the chipset drivers is my Serial ATA Controller Driver. I'm purchasing Vista Ultimate not the upgrade. I want to format and install Ultimate thus also getting rid of the trial software.

The installation will be on my Sata harddrive C: I'm assuming that 'll be asked to press F6 to load any third party drivers. I'm also assuming that if I don't install my Serial ATA Controller Driver at this point then the installation might fail... Am I right in this assumption?

I'm new to Sata but with the help so far you've given me I'm beginning to understand, thankyou. I'm not new to installing systems but I am, to Vista and Sata.

Mario

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Yeah you should press the magical F6

As far as drivers go SATA isn't really that different from PATA.

If you want to install windows vista ultimate you can use it to install in a sata hard drive. I dont think that it will ask for drivers for the sata hard drive, so you can directly install vista ultimate.

Your Bios should have a driver in it to where it will recognize the SATA drive. you can install vista to the SATA drive and then install the drivers for the drive.

at least i think that is what you are asking.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.