Hello there all!!!

I guessed this would be the best place for me to ask question. A cousin of mine has a sony VGN-C140G, he told me that just after he formatted it...his CD ROM drive stopped reading CDs. It is getting kinda troublesome finding the solution. I tried unstalling the driver and installing it back again...there was no change.

I really..really need help.

Thank A lot!!!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

first try getting a new driver - the old copy may have been corrupted.
Secondly, you could try cleaning the CD drive (very carefully and look at tutorials if you've never done it before)

and here's something I found online that might be useful to read:

If your CD/DVD drive disappeared from My Computer but you still can see it in the device manager, you can use this method posted on Microsoft site:
(posted at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 )
To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click StartStart button, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

User Account Control permission If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-
08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.