Which of these PCs is better (both have: ultra aluminus midtower, ultra xpro 600w, dual 120mm fans)

Option 1 (AMD Based):

* Asus M2A-VM Motherboard
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ overclocked to 3ghz with 1mb cache
* zerotherm butterfly cpu cooler
* 4gb corsair twinx 800mhz ram
* 500gb hard drive
* pny 8800gt video card stock clocked (600 core / 1800 memory clock)

Option 2 (intel based):

* MSI P43 Neo-F Motherboard
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3ghz with 6mb cache
* Stock cpu cooler
* 2gb ocz revision-2 800mhz ram
* 500gb hard drive
* HIS Radeon Ice-Q HD 2600 Pro graphics card (stock clocked 650 core / 1050 memory clock)

Clearly, the AMD has a better video card and more ram, and the intel system has a better processor. Which is better for gaming, video editing, web surfing, music coverison, and more demanding tasks, and is overall better all around.
Thanks for your help. Any suggestions keeping the price the same (490.00 off of tiger direct website plus tax and shipping) are welcome.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I think your analysis is correct, the AMD machine would be better for gaming, but the Intel would be better for demanding non-game applications.

That E8400 is meant to be a great chip, but the 8800GT is a great card.

Personally if I had to choose I'd go the one with the 8800GT as games are what's most important to me.

Here are some changes I will make to the intel system i will build:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3L Motherboard
Corsair TwinX 4GB 800mhz ram

The video card will be upgraded later in the future, so I'm not worried about that. Also, I am not overclocking, because I don't want to have to spend money on an aftermarket hsf for my cpu. Also, please only recommend changes from tigerdirect.com, because they have a store near my house that will make me a special order online with free shipping. Thanks for your help.

I think option 2 is best

Which of these PCs is better (both have: ultra aluminus midtower, ultra xpro 600w, dual 120mm fans)

Option 1 (AMD Based):

* Asus M2A-VM Motherboard
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ overclocked to 3ghz with 1mb cache
* zerotherm butterfly cpu cooler
* 4gb corsair twinx 800mhz ram
* 500gb hard drive
* pny 8800gt video card stock clocked (600 core / 1800 memory clock)

Option 2 (intel based):

* MSI P43 Neo-F Motherboard
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3ghz with 6mb cache
* Stock cpu cooler
* 2gb ocz revision-2 800mhz ram
* 500gb hard drive
* HIS Radeon Ice-Q HD 2600 Pro graphics card (stock clocked 650 core / 1050 memory clock)

Clearly, the AMD has a better video card and more ram, and the intel system has a better processor. Which is better for gaming, video editing, web surfing, music coverison, and more demanding tasks, and is overall better all around.
Thanks for your help. Any suggestions keeping the price the same (490.00 off of tiger direct website plus tax and shipping) are welcome.

Both the same CPU's and their performance are good and better only the taste of what you expirienced or knowledge in computer and most important is the price and terms.

i'm probably going for the amd system

AMD system is quiet preferred one for Gaming and other media applications... However the AMD processor generally runs at a clock speed bit less than that mentioned in its specifications .... however combined with a card like 8800gt it'll work fine...But for complex programming and related application the Intel processor based machine is preferred with a slight increase in the RAM configuration which you have mentioned..
Hope this helps a bit...

if you want a gaming machine go for the AMD machine. if you are wanting a workhorse that will run high overhead programs go with the Intel.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.