I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4467 that I upgraded to 2x2 gig of ram (paired set). Have run the laptop several days and now suddenly won't boot up. I've reseated the ram and removed battery, and it booted right up and worked fine. Shut it down, left it for an hour and it won't boot up again. Any suggestions are really appreciated. BTW, Toshiba model allows 4 gig on the dual core, but it will only read 3.1 ..checked all this out before I upgraded. Thanks :)

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

if your system allows 4gb and the system only reads 3.1 GB theres somthing wrong is the memory being read minus the video being shared or, yet is your system video use shared memory and if it is how much, does it account after the video shared is minus from the main memory

try isolating the problem since this whole thing started only after you upgrade, try the old memory back and see what happens or better yet, try the memory one by one,analyze then isolate, this are the best steps in troubleshooting.

if your system allows 4gb and the system only reads 3.1 GB theres somthing wrong is the memory being read minus the video being shared or, yet is your system video use shared memory and if it is how much, does it account after the video shared is minus from the main memory

try isolating the problem since this whole thing started only after you upgrade, try the old memory back and see what happens or better yet, try the memory one by one,analyze then isolate, this are the best steps in troubleshooting.

Toshiba.com tells us that it will only read 3.1 with 4 installed. That isn't the issue though. The issue I believe has been solved, I isolated that even though the ram was paired, they only worked separately. I called the retailer and am having another set shipped, however, a different brand. Thanks for the help! :)

Just for the record, a 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not show the total amount because of the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices.

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

Just for the record, a 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not show the total amount because of the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices.

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

Yes, indeed; you are exactly correct. I was too frustrated to completely explain why this occurs, so thank you for explaining for all other members. :)

Well, here I am again....now have Kingston RAM.....and it booted right up after installation, but shutting down and rebooting after half an hour takes three or four tries......any ideas?

And how many times have you tried to reboot where it took 3-4 times??? I d suggest to run memtest and check for the ram integrity to make sure that this new RAM is good.

Raj

The laptop has been off over night. This morning I booted once, black screen; shut down; rebooted after 30 seconds and it booted up. Used it awhile (works fine) and shut down for 4 hours; booted up...black screen; shut down 30 seconds, booted again and it came directly up. I've reseated modules and all four gigs are showing at bootup. I'll do a couple more things before I go on. Yes, the mem test, I wish there were an easier way. :) Thanks.

Maybe just maybe there is another issue at work, could it be the power supply being disrupted by some faulty connectors to the mobo which just randomly cuts the power off at start up. It sounds quite random to me. Also would be advisable to check what the info is like in the event manager.

Raj

It boots consistently and runs perfectly well on second boot, never first. When in re-install old RAM (2-512 it boots up first time every time).

Ah, dead thread revival!

I, too have had this problem. I bought a matched pair of 2gb Crucial sticks. The compute would boot intermittently. At first it was every other boot, then randomly longer. I replaced one of the 2gb sticks with an original 512mb stick and it boots just fine. I see all 2.5gb of ram. If I had known this would have been an issue, I would have ordered a 2gb and a 1gb, gotten all 3 I can safely use and avoided the memory problem.

And, btw, I am running Linux, so I see all the memory that is really available. When I had 2x2gb in, I only saw 3gb.

Chuck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.