Hello everyone,
My name is Daniel Aklipi and this is my first post on this website, and I hope that I'm doing it right.
I have a Gateway MT3705 laptop and until recently it was working fine. My 6 year old son somehow set a password on the BIOS. It took me the whole day to open up my laptop, find the BIOS battery, remove it and reset the CMOS. So I did that and the BIOS password was indeed gone. But now, instead of asking for the BIOS password I'm being asked for a HDD password on boot up and I have no idea what to do.
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I found a site (HERE) which had this to say:

Removing the HDD Password is possible for almost every drive currently manufactured. Data recovery firms usually have the knowledge, so I can suggest you to find some data recovery company in your location to perform this task (this is the easiest way).

Also, you can remove HDD Password on your own using "Repair Station" software:
http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/

HDD Password removal with Repair Station will cost you 49 bucks and will require you to remove the drive off the laptop and connect it to the PC using 2.5" to 3.5" HDD adapter. The process takes a minute to complete.

There's also an entry on that page (third from the bottom) by 'geo cryss' but his method involves plugging in the HDD while the computer is on, which I think is a really bad idea as it could ruin both your HDD and your motherboard.

I also found this quote:

The only way of retrieving any files from a password protected hard disk without knowing the password is to send it to a data recovery company for unlocking, but not all data recovery companies could or would unlock a password protected HD.

Does your BIOS have a HDD password section? If so try setting a different password.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Thank you for your reply. I have spent hours on google searching for a way to fix this problem and I have already known about all those methods you mentioned. What I am looking for is a way to remove the password for free without sending it anywhere.

I dont know of a way to do that, Thats why data recovery companies are there I guess.

long story short... your screwed

data recovery may help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.