I have multiple FAT32 based flash drives (pendrive, CF). The only thing in common is that my PC reports them as "not formatted". I cannot format them in either FAT or FAT32 from this PC either, however NTFS works fine.
I have run CHKDSK from my PC agsint the card and it to be OK. CHKDSK t: /V lists the files and that the colume is FAT32. Disk manager repotrs the volume, but cannot read that it is FAT32. Neither Expplorer or "Command Prompt" can list the drive.
I can also assign the card to a VMWare on my machine (Ubuntu), so I beleive the problem is causedby XP's lack of skills in understanding FAT(32).

These cards works OK sing XP on other machines. I have reoformatted them on other machines and in my camera. This has not helped for this XP machine.

I am away on vacation and this is the only PC I have now + I need FAT32 for my camera, so NTFS is not an alternative.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The latest news is that Sandisk RescuePro can recover files from this device.
XP still cannot detect that it is FAT32.

Should this be moved to "Win XP" thread?

:-/ since you stated that the cards can be accessed from other machines running XP ,then probably some of the files for the files used in formattingt drives using the FAT32/FAT are either missing or corrupt. maybe you'll have to repair windows or try the system file checker. SFC in command prompt. good luck man

:-/ since you stated that the cards can be accessed from other machines running XP ,then probably some of the files for the files used in formattingt drives using the FAT32/FAT are either missing or corrupt. maybe you'll have to repair windows or try the system file checker. SFC in command prompt. good luck man

Thank you very much for your help. SFC did the trick and all is OK again.

good to know that you got sorted out. Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.