Hi all.

I have a 500gb external freecom harddrive. This had been working fine until today.
When i turn it on i get the connection beep and it shows up in Device manager as working fine. BUT it does not show up in Disk Management or My Computer.

This coincides with another external harddrive which i bought and installed yesterday, which subsequently stopped showing up anywhere on numerous laptops it was tried on and had to be returned to store as faulty.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem, i'm seriously stuck without this harddrive!

Cheers,
Sammy

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Can anyone help me as well I have the same problem and can't seem to get it to work. When I hook mine up through usb it says it is loading a WD drive and then that's it I can't see it any where not even disk manager in windows please help I have my entire life story on this drive

Have you tried another USB port with the hdd?

There is a problem with USB ports where the Selective Suspend feature in the registry will occasionally not wake when it should, you can try the following to see if this is what is happening.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

Right click on the monitor icon at the top of the list of devices and click on Scan for hardware changes.

As for the new hdd, was the drive formatted?

If it is a SATA, did you install the drivers for the motherboard to support it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.