Well, My problem is I don't know if im going to need a new hard drive or not. I've tried a restore CD but they didn't work. It says it has something to do with not finding the D Drive which is where the recovery stuff is saved. Will I just have to buy a new Hard Drive or is there any way to fix this? I really cant afford to buy a new laptop, only a hard drive is nessecary. It makes a clicking noise when the CD Drive pops out but it did that even when it was working fine.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Would you please post the make and model of your computer. If you can find out what the manufacturer of you hard drive is you should be able to go to the manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD and boot from it to test you hard drive. You may need change the boot order in the BIOS to set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order.

Can get into Safe Mode?

Would you please post the make and model of your computer. If you can find out what the manufacturer of you hard drive is you should be able to go to the manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD and boot from it to test you hard drive. You may need change the boot order in the BIOS to set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order.

Can get into Safe Mode?

All I know is its HP Compaq Presario 5000 series, my aunt bought it off a friend and she gave it to me, didnt have any original papers and anything with it.

The model should be printed on the front of the computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.