I found this site by searching for title. Found a few, but none of their solutions worked and threads were rather old. I'm basically a newbie (I know just enough about computers to get into trouble) so HELP!!!

It all started when my Windows Live OneCare installed nine upgrades; after they installed, I turned my computer off. Next day it worked really slow so I just turned it off again figuring I'd mess with it later. Next day, still slow and warning on OneCare icon of 'your firewall has been turned off, .....' so I clicked on it to turn firewall back on. Worked for a minute then said could not turn on at this time - I must restart computer. So I did and this is what I've seen ever since:

'We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally'

I have tried all of the above as well as F8 which brings me to 'Windows Advanced Options Menu' which has other choices, but NONE work. It keeps going back to same screen as above. I can get into BIOS, but don't know what to change if anything???

Any suggestions???? HELP and Thank You...............GabbyD

I found this site by searching for title. Found a few, but none of their solutions worked and threads were rather old. I'm basically a newbie (I know just enough about computers to get into trouble) so HELP!!!

It all started when my Windows Live OneCare installed nine upgrades; after they installed, I turned my computer off. Next day it worked really slow so I just turned it off again figuring I'd mess with it later. Next day, still slow and warning on OneCare icon of 'your firewall has been turned off, .....' so I clicked on it to turn firewall back on. Worked for a minute then said could not turn on at this time - I must restart computer. So I did and this is what I've seen ever since:

'We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally'

I have tried all of the above as well as F8 which brings me to 'Windows Advanced Options Menu' which has other choices, but NONE work. It keeps going back to same screen as above. I can get into BIOS, but don't know what to change if anything???

Any suggestions???? HELP and Thank You...............GabbyD

I have the same problem,Only I loaded a different software ,I cleaned out and rebooted whole system to open box status to fix problem,and I TOO still get what your getting We need HELP!!!!!! and THANK YOU forany =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.