Hey guys,

I need to dual boot xp and vista on 2 seperate hard disks without partitioning anything. I'll use XP as my primary OS, and Vista for media centre only. Any ideas?

Mikey

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

This from www.google.com, lots of info ,http://www.google.ca/search?q=Dual+Boot+between+XP+and+Vista&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

gets tricky when you want to use 2 separate drive ,as windows only has the ability to boot to one or the other ,you will at least need a boot manager program .google will help you find more info.

If you do change you mind and just use one drive ,2 partitions ,remember to load oldest, OS first .could cause driver replacement problems if done the other way ,

i have used this bootmanger , http://www.osloader.com/ .to dual boot xp, and 2000, on separate drives ,but i was using a scsi controller card and a scsi hard drive ,along with my master IDE drive .

Yeah Hi Jack, I just got threw setting my computer up with those same 2 operating systems. Only difference would be I used partitions but other than that it went very smoothly. Install XP first and when that is complete install Vista and you can set up your boot order under advanced settings in startup and recovery. It is very straight forward not much detail needed in this answer. Good luck. Dad44

Yeah Hi Jack, I just got threw setting my computer up with those same 2 operating systems. Only difference would be I used partitions but other than that it went very smoothly. Install XP first and when that is complete install Vista and you can set up your boot order under advanced settings in startup and recovery. It is very straight forward not much detail needed in this answer. Good luck. Dad44

yeah ,I don't use Vista [much] I have what i will call a trial version ,that i have had install a few time on my test computer [then removed it ] so im not up on how it works with [vista]dual boot

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.