I was just wondering what a good motherboard would be, a decent one, to run some highend games and such. I know my Intel Celeron is a piece so im searching around for a better one, but not too expensive.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

If you plan to move to a new, high end motherboard, you'll need a new CPU and RAM to go with it (and more than likely a new power supply as well). The chipsets and sockets (where the CPU plugs in) on motherboards have changed many times since the Celeron 766, so any up-to-date upgrade you plan will result in many components being replaced.

If you just want a new motherboard for your 766 Celeron, then there isn't much point, because it won't give you more than a couple of extra frames per second in games. The motherboard just provides a means to connect everything in a PC together, allow communication between them, and maybe throw in the odd extra feature here and there (overclocking, onboard sound/video/network, etc). Of course, newer motherboards are considerably faster, but you need the newer and faster compatible components to make use of the speed!

Agreed.

Perhaps the cheapest and best platform to adopt at present is the Socket 754 Athlon 64 platform

Purchase a motherboard which uses the NVidia NForce3 250 chipset, at least 512Mb of PC3200 DDR RAM, and whatever Socket 754 Athlon64 processor can fit within your budget.

Couple that with as good a display card as you can get your hands on, and you will have a decent games system.

Bear in mind that you'll also most likely need a new power supply unit, or perhaps even a new case, if your old one isn't suited to the components you purchase.

Sorry, but upgrading from an old, underpowered system isn't really a simple, straightforward and cheap path to take.

Well, I am planning to build my own pc, I am doing research on it now. I have a case, i need to know of a good motherboard. It is a work in progress, but in regards to my last question about the video card, i decided just to go with a whole new computer. It is my first computer to build, i think it will be a good experience, and i will be looking to this forum for alot of help, so thanks alot.

Well, I am planning to build my own pc, I am doing research on it now. I have a case, i need to know of a good motherboard. It is a work in progress, but in regards to my last question about the video card, i decided just to go with a whole new computer. It is my first computer to build, i think it will be a good experience, and i will be looking to this forum for alot of help, so thanks alot.

If that's the path you want to take, then I suggest you buy everything in one hit instead of piece by piece (besides, you won't be able to use anything until you have everything!). By the time you've saved up enough money, prices will have dropped and new technology will be available to choose from. The world of computers is a fast changing one!

Yea, im gathering a list right now, there are several sites that help you with building a computer, i am looking at one in particular http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm I will be looking on ebay for some deals and such, but i wont actually start buying until i get all the money gathered for it, as you said.

what kind of ram does a Chaintech SK8T800 VIA Socket 754 with an amd athlon 64 3700+ processor take? like ddr ram, overlocking ddr, etc.

I was just wondering what a good motherboard would be, a decent one, to run some highend games and such. I know my Intel Celeron is a piece so im searching around for a better one, but not too expensive.

So you are talking about a processor or a motherboard? You said you are wondering what a good motherboard would be.. and then you said you know your celeron (a processor) is a "piece"

If you are looking at getting a whole new processor and a motherboard, and you are trying to stay on a decent budget, i cant think of anything better for the price than a amd 64 athlon 3000+ or 3200+. Depending on the processor, I would go with an asus board (everyone i hear loves their's, including myself) I have an amd 64 3500+ with an asus A8V, which is a little pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. I have a friend here at school who went with a cheap motherboard, and he is wishing he would have gotten a better board.

Of course, i overclock, so if that isnt an issue, maybe you can get away with a cheaper board. But go with a namebrand.

-Jonathan

So you are talking about a processor or a motherboard? You said you are wondering what a good motherboard would be.. and then you said you know your celeron (a processor) is a "piece"

If you are looking at getting a whole new processor and a motherboard, and you are trying to stay on a decent budget, i cant think of anything better for the price than a amd 64 athlon 3000+ or 3200+. Depending on the processor, I would go with an asus board (everyone i hear loves their's, including myself) I have an amd 64 3500+ with an asus A8V, which is a little pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. I have a friend here at school who went with a cheap motherboard, and he is wishing he would have gotten a better board.

Of course, i overclock, so if that isnt an issue, maybe you can get away with a cheaper board. But go with a namebrand.

-Jonathan

wow I did not see the previous reply posts! oops! :lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.