i have a dell inspiron 1150 running windows xp home edition and i belive has service pack 1a installed on it.

my problems is this:

I will go to turn on my computer and sometimes it will turn on, and other times, it won't. When it does, sometimes the fan will turn on but the monitor won't or vice-versa. If the computer does turn on, everything will start to load, then it will turn off. Sometimes, the computer works perfectly, the OS boots properly, and everything seems fine. Then, a great deal of time might go by, and the computer will just randomly turn off, but the fan will still be running, but the monitor won't be.

needless to say, this is a very annoying problem

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

i have a dell inspiron 1150 running windows xp home edition and i belive has service pack 1a installed on it.

my problems is this:

I will go to turn on my computer and sometimes it will turn on, and other times, it won't. When it does, sometimes the fan will turn on but the monitor won't or vice-versa. If the computer does turn on, everything will start to load, then it will turn off. Sometimes, the computer works perfectly, the OS boots properly, and everything seems fine. Then, a great deal of time might go by, and the computer will just randomly turn off, but the fan will still be running, but the monitor won't be.

needless to say, this is a very annoying problem

thanks in advance

Sounds like your power supply is flaky, if you have access to another one try replacing it.

what should i do to fix this besides finding another power supply? is there any part that i should remove from the computer or anything?

also, when id plug the adaptor in about a few months ago, i got a warning saying that the adaptor could not be recognized,which bugged me since it came with the computer, could that have been a tip?

Thanks and take care

no, its got to be faulty power, other then that it cant be a bios error, if so then the computer would not load up at all. Tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, amazon.com choose from your taste.

Again this acctually is most likely your mobo, try replacing it.. occasional booters are normally down to mobo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.