Hello, everyone!

I've recently bought some hardware components to build a new low-cost PC, whose purposes are: web surfing, office working, multimedia (at a medium level, not... video editing).
The pieces are:

• AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640 2600 MHz CPU
  • ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS nForce 430 / Geforce 6100 MB
  • Kingston KVR800D2N6 1GB 800MHz DDR2
  • Sirtec 430W PSU

The system was completed with an older Seagate 40 GB HDD (ATA/100, checked OK) and an older LG DVD-RW (also working fine), an LG keyboard and an LG mouse (PS/2).

The system worked fine for ~ 2 days with Vista Home Basic (original, no piracy) with SP1 installed (by me) over it, the MB drivers and so on.

Since yesterday, there is a strange problem showing up: (only) when restarting, the PC doesn't boot. It stops at the ASUS logo (at POST), then stays here forever. A "cold" boot works fine - I just have to stop the PC, remove the power cord, wait ~ 10 sec, then it just runs fine (Vista shows scores ~ 3.9 - 4.3 for the components). No errors are reported in 3D Mark, or any other program. Also, the BIOS beeps just once, making me think the components are OK. I've tried resetting the CMOS, changing the battery (with a checked good one), but no result. As I said, the problem appears only when restarting.

The BIOS messages don't show anything wrong (when the logo is disabled, the POST appears to complete fine), but then nothing happens. The IDE cables are checked, the MB temperatures are OK.

I don't think what to do, as I need to deliver this system in a short time to a friend. Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I would suggest trying to update your video drivers. Either downgrade one version or upgrade to newest. I had a customer PC that had a simular problem with restarting and I had to downgrade the video driver to correct problem.

OK, the situation is clear now.
It won't cold-boot anymore. It just stops at the BIOS logo. I've returned the MB to the manufacturer. It was defective (probably the BIOS chip).

Thank you, anyway.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.