After installing XP Pro on my new Dell Inspiron 531S I've been having trouble getting sound. I installed the Realtek HD audio driver that came with the driver disk from Dell and there was no sound (I can't remember if i did this before or after the SP3 and other updates). I tried unistalling the Realtek drivers and installing them again with no success. I thought the soundcard was a dud. But then i tried an older version of the driver, 1.84, and disabling and enabling the sound device, and then the sound appeared. Success !

Then after I installed divx and some sound codecs for a troublesome .avi file the sound disappeared (Codec Pack All in 1 6.0.3.0 and AC3 filter pack). The retry of the older, and newer Realtek drivers didn't work this time around.

I'm hoping a kind soul out there knows where to point me. I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this post and for any tips you might have.

Neil

"Then after I installed divx and some sound codecs for a troublesome .avi file the sound disappeared (Codec Pack All in 1 6.0.3.0 and AC3 filter pack). The retry of the older, and newer Realtek drivers didn't work this time around."

Codecs and drivers are two entirely different animals. There's an obvious conflict(mismatch) between the two. Contact tech support at Realtek. Copy and paste the above quotation on the contact support page under problem description or some such area.

Hey Guys I have a Dell 6843 and a Dell 1735. I hate VISTA and I downgraded BOTH laptops back to XP. As most of you know when you do this you lose your sound.. i went to www.icanfixyoursound.com and they had FREE drivers that fixed my sound in BOTH computers!! I am now BACK IN ACTION! I thought I would share with all of you.. I searched for weeks for working drivers.. Take care~
Edit/Delete Message

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.