2.7 ghz should be sufficient, at least for a while. You might want to think about upgrading next year, and I suggest getting another 512 mb of RAM. Unless you already ordered the card, I would highly suggest spending at least an hour or 2 shopping. There are many good deals to be found if you just look long enough! Did your power supply come with the case? Maybe you could look at the case to find out. There is a program you can download that tells you the specs for your system, not sure if it would tell you the information about your PSU. The power supply itself might be labeled with it's power. Shelling out the extra 50 USD for a good power supply is a good idea though, just to make sure! (500W+)

well the card needs a mere 350, so if i get a 500+, what will be the benefits? Is it simply more stable? I havent ordered yet, im actually going instore. I want this case and 420w PS http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryPart=3654 its a really good price! Is the PS good, becuase its very cheap? Im getting a new CPU in maybe 6 months!

well the card needs a mere 350, so if i get a 500+, what will be the benefits? Is it simply more stable? I havent ordered yet, im actually going instore. I want this case and 420w PS http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryPart=3654 its a really good price! Is the PS good, becuase its very cheap? Im getting a new CPU in maybe 6 months!

I HIGHLY recommend spending around $50 USD on your power supply. The video card NEEDS a 480 watt PSU for stable performance. The cheaper models will probably be less stable, louder, and will also generate more heat. (for the most part) Look for a good brand like Antec.

will do, thx a lot!

wow those cards drink energy, I have a 520Watt PS, and i run my 6800GT fine

@rcrev

do you think it would be good enough to buy the cobra case i listed above with the 420 watt? or buy the case and PS sep, like oenone?

buy the PS seperatly, the Powersupplies that cases bring 99.9% of the time suck, my raidmax 420watt PS was shot in 3 weeks, I bought a aspire turbomax 520WATT PS and it is still kicking powerfuly after 8 months

I would recemend if you are going 500+watts dont spend less then $60 on a powersupply, trust me its a but high, but its worth spending $60 once rather then $30 4 times a year

BTW, would it be possible for me to make a carbon fiber case? carbon fiber wont melt, but will it protect against power surges?, i think that would be hot, it would be light and look awsome, I can get my hands on carbon fiber.

a carbon fibre case would be sweeet! im gonna get a 550w and a cobra case + the Gainward in a week! cant wait :D

gonna get a 550w and a cobra case + the Gainward in a week! cant wait :D

Congrats on your purchase, best of luck!!! ;)

thx a lot! ill post my clock speeds and benchmarks when i get it!

rather that buy that card i go this whole system!!!! only a few hundred more than the card! The Hdd is my own!!! good price ey?

- P4 3.0G 800FSB 1mb cache LGA775 CPU
- Asus P5GD1 mobo
- 2x512mb Pc3200 DDR RAM
- Albatron 128mb 6600GT PCI-E
- 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7.5k
- XSonic Cobra Black
- 8 Channel Sound Card

yeah but if your aiming towards a gaming pc, amd is alot better then intel

personally im not a fan of AMD! i couldn have got a diff mobo and an AMD but in my experience Intel is more stable!

my amd 64 is still kicking hard with no problems :D

my amd 64 is still kicking hard with no problems :D

and just too add to this, my amd 64 and 6800GT gets me 64 FPS on Half life 2 at 1024x 728 6x anti alias, and 16x filtering. the new drivers really help out on DX9 games and OpenGL

and just too add to this, my amd 64 and 6800GT gets me 64 FPS on Half life 2 at 1024x 728 6x anti alias, and 16x filtering. the new drivers really help out on DX9 games and OpenGL

i get higher than that dude!

i did a disk defrag and my game runs quicker, I get 70FPS locked, doesnt budge one fps, its amazing

If you want to play a lot of HL2: X850XT
If you want to play a lot of DOOM 3: 6800

Its a real pain as there is nothing stopping the ATI vs Nvidia war as games optimise for either and generally not both. Id get the 6800 myself as i know they can run in SLI and because i am building a system with an Nforce (Nvidia) chipset. A lot more coolers / heatsinks are available for the Nvidia cards at the moment as well. ATI is DEFINITLY not a bad card however. Its up to you!

well its more like

if you want to play HL2 and thats it go ATI, for everything else go Nvidia :mrgreen:

also with Nvidia's new 55 drivers the performance comes close to that of a ati card, dont forget the benchmarks you see for ati in HL2 come from a set of drivers specificaly designed for HL2, u can say ati kinda cheated :p

well its more like

if you want to play HL2 and thats it go ATI, for everything else go Nvidia

also with Nvidia's new 55 drivers the performance comes close to that of a ati card, dont forget the benchmarks you see for ati in HL2 come from a set of drivers specificaly designed for HL2, u can say ati kinda cheated

you are absolutely right, i was just being specific to the cards. Is performance still OK from a 6800 on HL2 with 55 drivers??? i imagine you wouldnt notice the difference, hence my 6800 choice ;)

just re-installed doom3 on the new PC, OMFG...hands down the best looking game ever! full settings it is between 40-60fps *jaw drops*

whoa what?
40-60?

why do I get over 80 at full settings with only a 6800GT

i only have a 6600GT!!! i though i told u guys, rather than spend that much on a card, i got a whole new pc without the $900 6800gt?

Hey Marceta,

I'm new here,

I was wondering how much you got your pc for? and do you also live in syd?

thanks

Marceta, while it is never a bad idea to get a new system, I think that the card would have been a better option. Seems to me, by buying the new system, your paying more money, and getting less of a performance increase. Personally, I would have waited until I had the cash, then gotten the top of the line video card AND new RAM, a new motherboard, and a new CPU. Remember, with video cards, you can usually expect performance to increase on par with price. If it is made by the same company, you can expect a $200 card to be half as good(all things factored in) as a $400 card. This does not, however, hold true with just about any component. A $800 CPU could be 25% faster than a $300 dollar one. A brand new motherboard simply more fully featured, with little to no speed increase, or new DDR2 ram to be little faster than much cheaper DDR.

@monkey magic

Im up in bris. I got my system from Computer Alliance. However (@oenone) I only bought a CPU, MOBO, GFX AND RAM (the rest was from my other computers) :D so i guess i didnt "buy" a new system i "got" one. I cant go into the exact price (i got a discount) but it was 1100-1300AUD ! Personally i believe that this price was a better investment as the Albatron 6600GT is an awesome card and the other parts are quite a bit better than my old ones :D

As long as your happy, it's all good. A new system never hurt anyone ;)
Congrats on your new system!

thank you very much :D

Just to remind you if you get the GeFroce 6800 GT Ultra . You better have your computer in a nice open room cause if your in a small one with carpet thats gonna get really hot your card will overheat. The Ultra is the best of the 2 by quite a lot but it pretty much Drinks your powers supply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.