Hi just wondering if I could replace a Intel Celeron 2.4GHz processor with a Pentium 4 2.26GHz or 2.4 GHz processor.

Here are the specs on the current processor:
Celeron 2.4GHz
400MHz Bus 100MHz FSB
128MB Cache

The new processor would be:
Pentium 4
2.26GHz or 2.4
533MHz Bus 133 MHz FSB
512MB Cache

the Motherboard specs are:
Glendale by TriGem Computer Inc., no model numbers.

The computer specs:
Compaq Presario
S4000NX 512MB RAM

In my main system specs, which performs a lot better than the Celeron, are listed below. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

If your Celeron is Socket 478, you should have no problem upgrading to a newer Socket 478 Pentium 4. However some (I believe the slower) Celeron's are socket 370. So double check before you buy anything.

If your Celeron is Socket 478, you should have no problem upgrading to a newer Socket 478 Pentium 4. However some (I believe the slower) Celeron's are socket 370. So double check before you buy anything.

Yes, I just realized I left out the socket size. It does have a 478 socket. Do you think this is a wise upgrade? I found a used P4 2.26GHz processor on e-bay for $25.00.

Thanks again

well i just talked with someone at compaq's help chat, she informed me that the chipset (845GL) limits the bus speed and cache to 400MHz and 128KB. Therefore, it would be useless to upgrade since I would not be utilizing the full potential of the P4 processor. Also, the max processor supported is only 2.5GHz. Oh well, glad I checked.

Note that a P4 model would be noticeably faster than the Celeron you have there. If you can get a replacement cheap, it might be worth considering.

Note that a P4 model would be noticeably faster than the Celeron you have there. If you can get a replacement cheap, it might be worth considering.

coconut, would replacing a 2.4GHz celeron with a 2.26GHz Pentium 4 be noticeably faster even though it would have a 100MHz fsb and only 128KB cache?

Thanks

I don't see why the board would only recognise 128Kb of L2 cache. Looking at Intel's documentation on the chipset reveals no such limitation (it wouldn't be surprising if they just shoved that under the carpet though). Are you able to get your hands on any 400Mhz FSB Pentium 4s?

I don't see why the board would only recognise 128Kb of L2 cache. Looking at Intel's documentation on the chipset reveals no such limitation (it wouldn't be surprising if they just shoved that under the carpet though). Are you able to get your hands on any 400Mhz FSB Pentium 4s?

Yeah Coconut, I am not so sure of it myself. The chipset link you sent had a lot of information and confirms that the 845GL chipset is limited to 400MHz, but doesn't have any info on the cache. My plan was this:

-To buy a 2.53GHz P4 533FSB 512KB Cache Processor to replace the existing processor in my HP 762n with the 845e more capable chipset. (I was told by HP that 2.53 is the fastest it will support).

-Replace the Presario 2.4GHz 533fsb celeron with the Pentium 4 2.26GHz processor from my HP 762n. This is only if the P4 processor is backward compatible with the 845g chipset. Maybe somebody has the answer?

if all this is giving you such a headache -- why not just spend $50 on a new mobo to go with a decent processor -- this way you will be able to get a good processor while making sure all of it's capabilities are fully utilized?

-Soral 3.0

if all this is giving you such a headache -- why not just spend $50 on a new mobo to go with a decent processor -- this way you will be able to get a good processor while making sure all of it's capabilities are fully utilized?
-Soral 3.0

Yes, it is frustrating but it is the cheapest way to go. I would be upgrading 2 pc's by only buying one processor.

wow did u find a p4 2.4ghz 533fsb (not celeron) how and from where did u find do u have second hand p4 cpu's

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.