I'm currently building a new computer and there is a major problem with it. Basically, whenever I turn on the computer and at the bios/memory testing screen there would always be errors such as wierd characters or just stop after detecting the cpu or checking the memory in a loop and never stop. After I replace the new memory using my old memory, the new computer got pass the bios screen. However, right after this I ran memtest and the computer always randomly turn off after like 15 seconds. Can it possibly be my motherboard? Thank you in advance.

My Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz (Prescott) with Elitegroup PT800CE-A motherboard
1024 MB of PC3200 ram (OCZ4001024V3)
nVidia 6800 GT graphic card
CD-RW/DVD drive
DVD+RW drive
80 GB Maxtor 7200 HD
200 GB HD

My Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz (Prescott) with Elitegroup PT800CE-A motherboard
1024 MB of PC3200 ram (OCZ4001024V3)

I looked at the OCZ Technologies web site and looked at the spec's for your RAM. On that page there is a link to a "MOTHER BOARD QUALIFICATION GUIDE". I went there and your motherboard is NOT listed. Could be this memory is not compatible.

They say: "All OCZ Value series memory comes with a lifetime warranty, toll-free technical support, and is compatible with most motherboards. Please check our Motherboard Qualification Guide here for more details."

The only ECS (Elitegroup) motherboard they list is the ECS K7S5A and that is for the AMD chips and not for Intel. In their write up on that motherboard, they hint that you may also require a BIOS update. This could be another contributor to your problem.

I'd recommend that you contact OCZ first and if their help is not satisfactory, I'd go to the Elite Group people who made your motherboard at http://www.ecsusa.com/ and get in touch with their customer support.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr_pc_3200_value_series

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.