Hi, i really need help and i think its a simple problem im just not really good with hardware.

I have a 20" samsung syncmaster, an awesome screen, however the colors are all messed up. I tested the screen on my laptop and works great. So the problem is in the desktop. It is an old dell optiplex gx270, 2gb ram, i think its pentium 4, 2.80GHZ. I have 2 questions,

1. Obviously the graphics card inside isnt working good cause i tried everything, updating, resoloution, drivers, all. So i decided to buy a new card. I bought this one(didnt recieve it yet though) : ]nVidia GeForce FX5200 AGP 128mb DDR Dual DVI Dell F1810. Will it work with my computer? if yes is it a good card for using photoshop and other graphic programs from Adobe. If not what do you suggest i get? im on a limited budget. However, if this will work okay then i will stick to it.
Also, does it have to have a cable with it?

Second question,

2. Scanning my system with crucial memory scan from crucial.com, it says my computer will hold up to 4gb ram. I have 2gb now, 1gb stick x2. I want to upgrade to 4 but when i installed these 2 1gb sticks i did not see anymore slots for anymore ram to be installed, even though it says there is 4 slots for 4 gb. How can i do that? can i buy 2gb sticks anywhere? and install 2gb and 2gb in 2 slots?

Im sorry if im rambling too much but i really need help cause i just bought this lcd monitor brand new and really want it to work correctly.

Thanks alot. Waiting for your help. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Suspect you orig. prob. was less hdwr. than software. LCD is still fairly new so DRIVERS, more to the point, lack of correct ones is usually a MAJOR issue. The new card should work if you can actually mount it in the system. Again, DRIVERS, DRIVERS, ETC. Also watch your cycle settings under DESKTOP > Properties > etc.

the new one turned out to be very big it didnt fit. Here is what is installed right now :
Low Profile 2 Port IEEE-1394 FireWire PCI Card with Digital Video Editing Kit

Can you suggest to me a card that will work with my dell optiplex gx270 (older models, thin tower) and not expensive? i dont play games or anything, just rendering colors etc.... or maybe a few choices please?

Thanks,

Depends on how many open slots you have open. Mobo pic I found showed 4 PCI 2 slots, the green one is specifically for graphics adapter, just don't recall name.

If you HAVE to use green one, flag jbennet, he knows name.

THIS IS A BIT DIFFERENT FROM MY COMPUTER...

the graphic card installed right now is in 1 slot, then there is a bigger slot right next to it, then on the other side theres 2 slots for ram.

my question is why are the colors all messed up, the reds are too red and green doesnt show as green, i cant look at the screen for more than 3 minutes cause my eyes hurt. so if i replace this graphic card i mentioned in last post (Low Profile 2 Port IEEE-1394 FireWire PCI Card with Digital Video Editing Kit) and put a new one, will it fix the colors..and i also need some recomendations on which card will work for my system? Like what is low profile? cause its small in size?

Thanks

(right clik) Desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced (button) > General (tab) DPI (adjust) setting (if possible)

ALSO: (right clik) Desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced (button) > Monitor(tab), Screen refresh rate box
If it allows you select more than one try each & see if that helps.

You may need to find the right combo of the two that works best. If you can't. Look for updated drivers at graphics adapter's mfg. site. If you can't find it give me FCC ID imprinted on card, don't leave any numbers out.

"Low Profile 2 Port IEEE-1394 FireWire PCI Card with Digital Video Editing Kit" Is mostly a generic name that could be most any mfg., exact mfg. and ver. will be needed for exact drivers.

"the graphic card installed right now is in 1 slot, then there is a bigger slot right next to it,"
The slot now being used for graphics adapter is for most any PCI device (PCI 2 most likely), the bigger one (most likely green) is most likely graphics card specific, at least that's how it's most commonly used.

I tried refresh rate and dpi and id didnt work...made the fonts bigger but the color is still messed up.

There are no drivers for my card i checked, heres the website: http://www.startech.com/item-applications/PCI1394_2LP-Low-Profile-2-Port-IEEE-1394-FireWire-PCI-Card-with-Digital-Video-Editing-Kit.aspx) Thats the exact one in my computer.

Here are the exact numbers on the card, i took it out and infront of me now.

Part# PCI1394_2LP (StarTech.com)
Then another sticker has 2 numbers: 08020017068
and under it: IP-V03-2221-00-02362

Then on the other side this number is on the card itself not a sticker: PCI 1394A and under it
PI26306-8X2C

So i dont know if i found the number youre looking for but maybe if you help me know the format of it or something? cause theres too many numbers. I dont see the letters FCC ID anywhere. Sorry im not too good with detailed computer stuff...

while I'm checking on info in your post, Is the monitor new or used?

RE: 08020017068 The card itself was made in India.
RE: PCI 1394A , just means what you already know, generic term for PCI Firewire adapter of which there are many different types.
RE: IP-V03-2221-00-02362, and PI26306-8X2C. Both numbers came up no shows on search engine.
RE: PCI1394_2LP. Mfg.s ID for card is still listed for sale at www.pcmall.com if you're interested in a new one (I wouldn't bother).

Best course is a new card. Expect to fork over $70 - $80 U.S. for decent replacement. Again be sure that it's designated designed for PCI 1-2 only.

Ok , Its a new monitor. Samsung syncmaster 20" this one but 20"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/20inch-4_24.html

Im really sad that i cant use it because of the colors. Only when i connect it to my laptop is when i get a good normal image and colors. But i want it to work with my desktop you know.

So, can you suggest to me a few cards i can choose from? And also, when shopping for one, how do i know its compatible in size etc... Are there standard sizes for graphic cards?

Thanks alot

"But i want it to work with my desktop you know." You can use the big monitor at home by disabling the onboard graphics device. If you want to go on the road, re inable.

"So, can you suggest to me a few cards i can choose from? And also, when shopping for one, how do i know its compatible in size etc... Are there standard sizes for graphic cards? "
I haven't built any in a while so I can't suggest.
Not sure your meaning of "compatable size".
If it'll fit your slot and pocket buy it if you like it. Unless you're a big time gamer, expect to spend the amount specified. You won't be very happy with a cheaper mod.

low profile meant that the computer is thinner than a normal tower ,like a flat top case or small forum factor box.
the regular video card will fit but you will need a low profile back on so it can fit he back of the computer case .
like this one note the smaller connection bracket .
http://www.directron.com/80062lp1.html

s?

Im sorry if im rambling too much but i really need help cause i just bought this lcd monitor brand new and really want it to work correctly.

Thanks alot. Waiting for your help. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

cheaper to go out and buy a new tower to match the monitor,maybe !!
the dell optiplex gx270 came in two case styles the flat desktop and a stand up tower ,what one you got !

"But i want it to work with my desktop you know." You can use the big monitor at home by disabling the onboard graphics device. If you want to go on the road, re inable.

Im not sure what you mean? how do i disable graphics ?? and if i do will that bring colors to normal?

Im not sure what you mean? how do i disable graphics ?? and if i do will that bring colors to normal?

i think they are confuse and referring to you comment about hooking it to you laptop. .
you didn't answer any of my questions in my last post ,i could advise you more if you did .

you could try right clicking on you desktop go to properties /advances /settings ,and change the screen resolution to a higher setting ,then go t oadvanced /monitor and change the refresh rate [higher] make sure hide modes this monitor can't display is check off

i think they are confuse and referring to you comment about hooking it to you laptop. .
you didn't answer any of my questions in my last post ,i could advise you more if you did .

you could try right clicking on you desktop go to properties /advances /settings ,and change the screen resolution to a higher setting ,then go t oadvanced /monitor and change the refresh rate [higher] make sure hide modes this monitor can't display is check off

Oh ok im sorry. I tried doing the resolution and refresh rate but it doesnt fix it. Im sorry i didnt see your question, its a slim desktop. It can stand up or sit on its side with a monitor on top of it or whatever. Its the smallest of its kind (GX270) slim desktop. But its not the new one 2008 or even 2007. Its older. I dont even know if they have new optiplex.
Thanks,

Oh ok im sorry. I tried doing the resolution and refresh rate but it doesnt fix it. Im sorry i didnt see your question, its a slim desktop. It can stand up or sit on its side with a monitor on top of it or whatever. Its the smallest of its kind (GX270) slim desktop. But its not the new one 2008 or even 2007. Its older. I dont even know if they have new optiplex.
Thanks,

that's what i thought .The slim will take a low profile video card ,then metal bracket on the card that holds it into the case is shorter that the regular ones,in my opinion you are wasting money trying to making a gaming machine out this computer ,you'll put in a card then have problems with not enough power ,and you will not be able to buy a bigger power supply for this case ,the computer is made for office use or a Bank teller to use, not a gaming machine ,and is only worth about a 100.00 $ like the one in my link ,.
http://www.vfxweb.com/index.php?maincateg=1&subcateg=21&productid=11323

Im not trying to make it a gamer computer at all, i dont even play games, or have any. Im just trying to get the right normal colors. Like i said before, the most i do is photoshop, and use it for internet etc....no games. So i think ill buy a cheap low profile card that should do it. Like $50 max.

Im not trying to make it a gamer computer at all, i dont even play games, or have any. Im just trying to get the right normal colors. Like i said before, the most i do is photoshop, and use it for internet etc....no games. So i think ill buy a cheap low profile card that should do it. Like $50 max.

sorry ,confused you with another poster trying to make a gamer ,sorry ,yeah go for a low profile one it will works wonder for photo shop

Tell me which low profile one i should buy. maybe even used from ebay or something. Dont wanna spend more than 45 or 50 bucks.

Hi, I am still having trouble finding a card that fits in my computer. Any card the most basic. Not for games, just to see the colours right on the screen..
Pleaseeee help ...

Its very useful info for me because I certainly want this information.

Samules

Its very useful info for me because I certainly want this information.

Samules

nice to see this info helping someone!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.