I have a laptop toshiba Satellite M305D thats running vista home premium thats only 4 months old. I was using it fine on Sunday night, my daughter went on it Monday morning, still fine. she said it was running slow, so I told her to shut it down. She did, and I got home and went to get on it, and it wouldnt go past the screen that says "Please wait". I called toshibas IT, and they told me to take out the battery, wait a few minutes, put it back in, still didnt work. Then they had me do a system recovery, to an older date that the computer was working, so I did that, and it still doesnt boot. They told me I may have to do an entire wipe out of my laptop, and Ill loose all pics on there and any important files. I cant do this!!!!!!! I need those things on there. They told me to take it to Best Buy and see if they can access the harddrive, but they'll charge me alot, Im sure. So I was wondering if anyone can help me on here please!!!!!!!!!!! It will run in safe mode only, and my disc drive will open. I think thats it for now.......... Thanks you soooo much for any help!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You have drive access. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to load in safe mode.
You aren't likely to like this but it's apparently unavoidable.
If you have a cd/dvd writer copy ALL personal data files that you can find to it. Give yourself pause and be SURE that you've gotten everything. (You are getting some kind of basic (Safe) mode operation but NO enhanced mode (drivers are either corrupt or they're just not there)).
This type of operation works in XP and probably has something similar in Vista. Boot with your orig. setup disk and look for something that refers to (R)epair options, etc. The "repair console" is for those that are advanced users so you'll need to bypass that.
If that is not to be found you'll have to format drive and reload from scratch.
If THAT doesn't work use your warranty. It means a defective drive and there's nothing that you can do about that, neither should you. New drive warranty's are at least 1 yr. or more.

hi im having the same trouble.. which setup disk are you referring to ? and how can i find the repair options

hi im having the same trouble.. which setup disk are you referring to ? and how can i find the repair options

this thread is 3 yrs old now , please start you own thread and explain you problem a little better ,along with make and model of you laptop ,thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.