Hi;
I usually try to help on boards like this and now I am making one.. heh. Well I left my computer on sharing bandwidth with the stanford folding@home daniweb team overnight and came back the next evening to find my OS toast. I tried to repair it via windows recovery disc with no avail. I then called my computer repair friend who told me to install BARTPE via a cd or dvd to troubleshoot it. I did that and to my surprise bartpe worked; I then tried to run checkdisk with bartpe where it tries to recover any bad sectors and on stage 3 the computer just powered down and wont even turn on! I get a little flicker from the hard drive light and then nothing. I hope someone can tell me if stanford folding@home cause this since they were using my bandwidth and cpu power or if it was everyday hard drive failure. I am really upset because I had a song on the computer a band was going to record and a book I was writing. I was stupid and backed up to a partition *bangs head*

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Update: I am turning my primary drive into a secondary and I am installing windows vista as the primary. I have found out that it may have not been the OS after all my power supply seems to have gone haywire it starts smoking so much that I am afraid of my pc catching on fire. I don't know if web expressions and silverlight could have caused any problems to my OS I am just going over what I have done in the last few days.

Hi;
I usually try to help on boards like this and now I am making one.. heh. Well I left my computer on sharing bandwidth with the stanford folding@home daniweb team overnight and came back the next evening to find my OS toast. I tried to repair it via windows recovery disc with no avail. I then called my computer repair friend who told me to install BARTPE via a cd or dvd to troubleshoot it. I did that and to my surprise bartpe worked; I then tried to run checkdisk with bartpe where it tries to recover any bad sectors and on stage 3 the computer just powered down and wont even turn on! I get a little flicker from the hard drive light and then nothing. I hope someone can tell me if stanford folding@home cause this since they were using my bandwidth and cpu power or if it was everyday hard drive failure. I am really upset because I had a song on the computer a band was going to record and a book I was writing. I was stupid and backed up to a partition *bangs head*

Yeah-- sounds you have it figured out in your post below... but as long as the harddrive is still working you can recover the files if you make it an external or secondary drive on another computer. All would not be lost...

My computer is now running the primary drive and I have not yet put in the drive I want to save. The main problem that caused all of this was my surge protector! It may have not been the power supply; after swapping out every component in the computer that was the actual cause!

Swap the power supply anyway. After an electrical fault its always good to do it as it could fail and toast everything. Better safe than sorry.

"power supply seems to have gone haywire it starts smoking so much that I am afraid of my pc catching on fire"

Definately swap it.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I am not the hardware dude of the household my dad is. My dad and I went over the problem and we did switch out the power supply. I am more software and coding than hardware. I wish I could do hardware but my fingers don't work well with small parts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.