hello there this is my first posting on this place so I hope you can help. I bought about 6 months ago a dell inspiron 5100 and up until a week ago I hadnt noticed anything but then every now again in system properties it says that its a pentium4 2.80GHz 1.40GHz which I assume means it knows its a 2.8ghz processor but ... its running at 1.4ghz why??? and why only sometimes ... other times it runs at 2.79GHz ... it is annoying .. can anyone help .. if you need any other info just ask

cheers in advance

steve

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

that is called processor throttling... it's done to conserve battery life.

=) No problem. There are ways to get around cpu throttling... mostly software... mostly available for download off the net. I couldn't really tell you the specifics relating to Intel... I'm an AMD man.

Try google, or the overclockers.com forums

There should be some option in the BIOS to disable SpeedStep, if you really wanted to get rid of it.

My laptop has AMD processor and it has not come up at all if powered on-the power light will just blink and withing a second goes off.
what could be the problem

My laptop has AMD processor and it has not come up at all if powered on-the power light will just blink and withing a second goes off.
what could be the problem

Check the CPU fan if that is turning, maybe the CPU overheated!

Hope this helps!
Bill

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.