I have a 750Gb Maxtor USB HDD mounted as G:. I just received a message saying "G:\$Secure is corrupt. Run chkdsk". So I did (in a cmd window). What I got is this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Norman>chkdsk g: /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OneTouch4.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
Truncating corrupt attribute list for file 177396.
Deleted corrupt attribute list for file 177396.
Truncating corrupt attribute list for file 179104.
Deleted corrupt attribute list for file 179104.
Truncating corrupt attribute list for file 247220.
Deleted corrupt attribute list for file 247220.
Truncating corrupt attribute list for file 468295.
Deleted corrupt attribute list for file 468295.
File verification completed.
Deleting orphan file record segment 177397.
Deleting orphan file record segment 179105.
Deleting orphan file record segment 247221.
Deleting orphan file record segment 468296.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Correcting error in index $SDH for file 9.
Correcting error in index $SDH for file 9.
Sorting index $SDH in file 9.
Correcting error in index $SII for file 9.
Correcting error in index $SII for file 9.
Sorting index $SII in file 9.
Correcting error in index $O for file 25.
Insufficient disk space to correct errors
in index $O of file 25.
An unspecified error occurred.

C:\Documents and Settings\Norman>

The G: drive is currently unmounted (not surprising). Am I safe to reboot to remount the drive?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Yes and if it does remount you need to delete info you drive is full and out of space

Would that were the case! The drive remounted OK on reboot and was not full. I really don't know what chkdsk was doing. In the process of deleting some files, the delete failed as one directory was corrupt. I'm still trying to find something else to check the disk with. If I can't then back it goes for exchange.

Did you run chkdsk again?

And it failed miserably. Got though Phase 1 OK, and on indices got into a loop saying "Inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 463599". So I don't think that's very good, either!:'(

download seagate disk tools and test the hdd with that, this should be able to check if the drive is still working as it is suppose to. you could also try running chkdsk g: /r in command prompt!

That's what is so annoying. I have previously downloaded the Seagate tools, and it only failed the SMART test. All the others worked. And I did use /r on each chkdsk. I have been deleting files on the disk and found two other places where it said a file/folder was corrupt. Also, I think there is something bad in System Volume Information, but I'm leaving that folder alone.
I don't think it is worth an more investigation, I think it has to go back.

That's what is so annoying. I have previously downloaded the Seagate tools, and it only failed the SMART test. All the others worked. And I did use /r on each chkdsk. I have been deleting files on the disk and found two other places where it said a file/folder was corrupt. Also, I think there is something bad in System Volume Information, but I'm leaving that folder alone.
I don't think it is worth an more investigation, I think it has to go back.

yes i would suggest sending it back as well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.