Good day.

I have a problem i got a 400 gb HDD it was partitioned in 2 200gb each drive. i reformat the drive c: to install a fresh OS (Windows XP SP2) I partitioned the drive into 40gb c:drive & 160gb in the other drive. I used the one in the windows installation during set-up. Then after I partitioned the c: into 40gb & 160 gb there goes the problem. It only allocated 131gb all in drive c: the 200+ gb was unallocated. But when I transferred the drive in my other computer and installed PowerQuest PartitionMagic.v8.02 I manage to recover my 400g space and partitioned it smoothly. But when I put it back in the original CPU the problems is still there, still 131gb allocated. What cause these problem? is the motherboard (P5P800-vm) has to do with this prob? the unit that it was installed is Intel Celeron D, ASUS P5P800-vm motherboard, and the hard drive is Seagate ST3400832A.

For now I'll try to use some disk rescue software.

still need help
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

have you updated the bios on the motherboard?does the bios detect the hdd as a 400gig? is your ide drivers installed?

have you updated the bios on the motherboard?does the bios detect the hdd as a 400gig? is your ide drivers installed?

already done all of that
but here's the whole story.

At first the cpu prob is that in wont boot in windows. It gets into the welcome but wont get into windows. So i cleaned up the pc then installed XP SP3 without formatting the drive its original OS is XP SP2. After installation the it boot to windows but unfortunately it was quiet slow. So i have to over clock the cpu for about 20% (Intel CeleronD 2.26ghz). It works but the audio device got a problem. So i reinstalled the driver thinking that maybe the driver was corrupted. But with no Luck still it wont work. Then in there i thought maybe its time to reformat the drive. Then I used XP SP2 to reinstall. I saw it was 200gb booth drive so i thought 200gb is to big for a system drive so I deleted the partition c: to split it to 40gb & 160 gb and got no problem. Then after the installation there I saw the problem the 400gb is only 131gb now. So i pulled-out the drive and put it on the other computer (P4 3.0ghz with XP SP3 os) i used the partition magic to recover the space. And it did recover all the space. Then i thought i was fixed then. So I put it back to its original CPU and tried to reinstall again using XP SP2. But the prob comes back again only 131gb allocated. So i get another harddrive (40gb) to be may system drive and installed it. Then I made my 400gb as slave drive. the audio prob was solved. But the hard drive prob still there 131gb is allocated out of 400gb I Updated the bios and I tried using Acronis Disk Director & Partition Magic but no success. So i go to DOS mode and try fdisk and I recovered the drive with out partition and formatting. I went to windows and used partition magic and recover the 400gb. I split the drive into 2 200gb using partition magic and got success for a while until i reboot the pc. After reboot the drive displays 131gb again!!!! So i thought I'll upgrade my OS to XP SP3. And i did, it solve my harddrive problem got audio. then the next day I test the pc my harddrive is fine but audio prob is back.... :(

i think i'm going crazy:confused:

but still here hoping somebody might help me. :?: :-/

mmmmh! ok so the hdd works again but the audio doesnt! and the audio stoped working once you installed SP3. have you tried downloading an updated driver for the audio(thats if you are still using the original mainboard disk)

mmmmh! ok so the hdd works again but the audio doesnt! and the audio stoped working once you installed SP3. have you tried downloading an updated driver for the audio(thats if you are still using the original mainboard disk)

yup, i downloaded the driver from asus website.... it really mess up my senses.... i can't quiet understand what may cause it..:?:

ok does it give you any errors in device manager? does the driver start up correctly but theres no sound?( is your speakers on?? lol just joking) let me know and i will search some more!

ok does it give you any errors in device manager? does the driver start up correctly but theres no sound?( is your speakers on?? lol just joking) let me know and i will search some more!

thanks loki
yup all checked.. lol
no error report. just no sound. but i made it work a night before. it just happened the next day. could it be a virus or something? i remembered I installed my anti virus (AVG 8 free). but when i checked it no anti virus visible in my program and no sound.... can virus get into a bios? or something like that...

i want to understand how this error happens... understanding the problem may lead to solving the problem ...

no i do not think that it will be a virus that affected your bios, it may very well be a virus so have a look and install avg and scan the system! do you by any chance have a another pci sound card that we can test and c if it works!? its very strange for it not to give an error!can you c the volume speaker thingy in the corner?

no i do not think that it will be a virus that affected your bios, it may very well be a virus so have a look and install avg and scan the system! do you by any chance have a another pci sound card that we can test and c if it works!? its very strange for it not to give an error!can you c the volume speaker thingy in the corner?

I'll try to use PCI sound card. The sound volume is up to max level. And the driver is good. Maybe the port itself has a problem. i'll try to check it out.

That's also puzzling me. cause if there's an error it should be an easy to fix. hard to hit a hidden target as they said.

thanks loki

I'll try to use PCI sound card. The sound volume is up to max level. And the driver is good. Maybe the port itself has a problem. i'll try to check it out.

That's also puzzling me. cause if there's an error it should be an easy to fix. hard to hit a hidden target as they said.

thanks loki

ok let me know what happens with the pci card!

ok let me know what happens with the pci card!

what could be better usb or pci sound card?

what could be better usb or pci sound card?

pci

pci

hi loki.

haven't got a pci sound card. but the audio just work again. after about a week.

thanks for the help

no problem bud

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.