ya um.noob question..is liquid cooling safe? i got a $1,000 processor and i dont wanna mess it up

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

$1000 processor??? maybe if you are paranoid you can stick to air cooling but a well installed system will be safe. Its like asking if driving a car is safe -> only if its done by someone who knows what they are doing! Just what is that $1000 CPU btw, if it is recent you might want to check the warruntee as it will definitely be void if you open the case. I am planning to use water cooling for my Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle, but being as the CPU is worth $140 its not really a problem for me....

ya um.noob question..is liquid cooling safe? i got a $1,000 processor and i dont wanna mess it up

do you mean the complete computer cost $1000 or just the processor?

just the processor..

intel pentium 4 3.46ghz extreme edition...

Correctly fitted and maintained, yes liquid cooling is quite safe. But why on earth would you want to use it anyway?

Improperly fitted and maintained it's NOT safe. Unless you use a quite expensive and cumbersome setup it's only marginally more effective than a decent air-cooling alternative, and unless you are seeking to perform some extreme overclocking you don't need anything beyond air cooling anyway!

Liquid cooling is a gimmicky toy for people with too much money to spend, in my view ;)

Liquid cooling is a

To quote myself from another thread in this forum:

>"Hey, what's that sound?"
>"It's coming from your computer."
>"Oh, !@#$!!! The watercooling hose sprung a leak!"
>*sizzle* *zap* *pop* *sizzle*
>"I think you need a new motherboard..."

Correctly fitted and maintained, yes liquid cooling is quite safe. But why on earth would you want to use it anyway?

Improperly fitted and maintained it's NOT safe. Unless you use a quite expensive and cumbersome setup it's only marginally more effective than a decent air-cooling alternative, and unless you are seeking to perform some extreme overclocking you don't need anything beyond air cooling anyway!

Liquid cooling is a gimmicky toy for people with too much money to spend, in my view ;)

Liquid cooling is a

UMMM HMMMMM I HAVE A WATER COOLING UNIT AND I GUESS ENLESS U HAVE EVER USED ONE YOU DON'T KNOW. :) IT IS NOT A GIMMICK WELL ANYWAY THE ONE I HAVE ISN'T I NEVER GET HOTTER THEN 32C EVER! I LIKE THAT GIMMICK. JUST HAD TO REPLY I AM NOT A MILLION DOLLAR MAN BUT I DO ALRIGHT. I BOUGHT IT FOR OVER CLOCKING AND I CAN KILL TWO COOLING ISSUSE AT ONCE SENCE THERE COMING OUT WITH A BLOCK FOR THE VIDEO CARD. I READ A FORUM EARLIER ABOUT NEWCASTLE 2.4 AND 2.2 JUST AN FYI THEY MAKE IT IN BOTH ONE IS THE LOW END OF THE CORE AND THE OTHER IS THE TOP. NOT SURE WHY BUT I THOUGHT I'D LET YOU KNOW CASE YOU ARE ASKED. THX FOR YOUR TIME BRO!

Hiya Whitie.

I'd like to point out this key to you:

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/505907/caps.jpg[/img]

Sometimes we can accidentally bump it, and then everything we type will make people think that we're yelling at them rudely!

Yes, you can get lower temps by using water-cooling. But you don't get a DRAMATIC decrease in temps with commercial kits when you compare their performance with that from the better air-cooling solutions. Not worth the risk, in my view, if you are not a skilled 'handyman'. Not worth the effort, in my view, if you are :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.