Hi everyone, I have an odd problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have a custom built pc with a Asus a8n5x mobo. it's a socket 939 running a Athlon X2 4200.

The computer posts ok (1 beep) and goes to the bios. Once it hits the bios it detects my CPU but doesn't proceed past that to the RAM detection. It does give me the option to boot into setup (DEL) or F8 for safe mode, but I get no response from the USB keyboard.

I've tried swapping the sticks, and then just doing 1 of each is bank 0, but still no luck.

Also a couple days ago, I got a chipset fan error during boot, my northbridge chipfan is working sporradically, sometimes it comes on during boot sometimes not. I've ordered a new one from newegg.. but the chipset doesn't seem to be getting overheated. I took the side of the box off, just in case.

I haven't reset the CMOS yet, I'll try that when I get home, and I haven't tried a PS2 keyboard yet (I'll have to borrow one), but I hope someone can shed some light on this problem.

I'd like to get a new mobo/cpu/ram, (core i7) but right now I just don't have the money.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I think we'll wait until you've got a PS/2 keyboard attached and you've tried a few more things. Are you sure it was the Northbridge chipset fan that has the problem? If it's the Southbridge that may have got damaged then USB wouldn't work.

I think we'll wait until you've got a PS/2 keyboard attached and you've tried a few more things. Are you sure it was the Northbridge chipset fan that has the problem? If it's the Southbridge that may have got damaged then USB wouldn't work.

It seems that the ps2 and the cmos short solved the issue. thanks.

CMOS must have gotten corrupted somehow.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.