You'll find that the most common source of the problem when a system inexplicably fails to power up id the Power LED connector being reversed. In fact, it's quite crucial to have the front panel connectors correctly attached, as the various wires on the connectors have specific purposes. All connectors should be facing the same direction.

ok I'm going to work on that and make sure it's all connected right. So since I'm gettin a led lighted up, It's not the power supply problem? I also saw a led lighted in the area where ethernet is located so it couldnt be power supply problem right?

My strong suspicion is that you have the front panel connectors incorrectly attached.

Your motherboard manual should have diagrams.

You'll find that the most common source of the problem when a system inexplicably fails to power up id the Power LED connector being reversed. In fact, it's quite crucial to have the front panel connectors correctly attached, as the various wires on the connectors have specific purposes. All connectors should be facing the same direction.

Here's what got my attention. You said "All connectors should be facing the same direction." What do you mean by that?

Front panel connectors (the ones coming from the case) generally have a flat face, and a face where you can see the clips where the pins on the ends of the wires have been pushed into the plug. All of the connectors should face the same way if the leads are correctly attached, on any motherboard I've ever seen ;)

If the board you refer to is this one, then the connectors I refer to are the ones for Power button, Power LED, Reset, HDD LED, and speaker, which are mentioned on page 16 of the manual. The plugs for all of those should face the same direction.

You need the CPU fan attached, of course, but I'd not bother with headers for USB, Wake on LAN, Infrared, or whatever else you may have until after you actually get the board to POST.

Oh ok Yes I see where your going with this. One more thing before I go do this. I see a pattern on those connectors all of em have at least white wire in it. Is white a grounded wire?

Colour schemes vary from case to case. I don't believe there are any set standards, and if so they are not adhered to. But nevertheless, white wires are usually power, not ground.

Try having the connectors in one direction, and if it doesn't boot them reverse them all ;)

Colour schemes vary from case to case. I don't believe there are any set standards, and if so they are not adhered to. But nevertheless, white wires are usually power, not ground.

Try having the connectors in one direction, and if it doesn't boot them reverse them all ;)

ok Here's the thread I read other day and now I'm confused as to what white is either postive or grounded.

Here's that thread... and read the reply after this thread...[img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/statusicon/post_old.gif[/img] 01-14-2005, 05:29 PM # 2 alc6379 vbmenu_register("postmenu_84159", true);
[img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/ranks/supermod.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/customavatars/avatar1972_0.gif[/img]

Title: Cookie Moderator
Reputation: [img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif[/img][img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif[/img][img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif[/img]

Re: Wire color? No manual just need to be sure.

I think the white is negative... That's how I did mine, and it works, at least.

Check out my other forum, devoted solely to Linux and Open Source tools:
JustLinux Help Forums
Important spyware information:
READ THIS BEFORE POSTING *ANYTHING* ABOUT BRIDGE.DLL
Read this before posting *any* HiJackThis logs in the Security forum :)

Please don't PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!
[img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/buttons/reputation.gif[/img] [img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/buttons/report.gif[/img]

I DID just say that standards don't seem to be adhered to by case manufacturers ;)

HI, I think I found something..This power led connector has only like 2 wires but the connector has 3 holes. I tried plugging all of em and I am looking at page 16 like u said and see vcc5, another is vcc5 too and NC in the manual book. something like this..

0--nc_
--gnd---0 0--rstsw---reset_
pwrbtn---pwrbtn--0 0--gnd--_
power led--powerled--0 0--hddled--hdled_
--vcc5--0 0--vcc5---_
The O you see is where the connectors actually plugs in to. Hope this helps.

Yeah U did. hmmm ok I will try it like you say and see what happens ok

HI, Good news. I got the motherboard up and running. CPU fan spinning. I just got to check wriing again bec I dont see where the power led light supposed to light up when its on. Then I think I am set after that.

The front panel connector pins are probably the biggest source of headaches for home-builders :D

Yeah your right. Now there's still no led light when power on for power button and the light on Floopy disk stays on.. Hmm something is crossed somewhere....

Floppy drive cable connector is upside down for starters - reverse it.

Try reversing the power led connector and see what happens .

Reversing the floppy connection fixed it:o . Thanks! Still no luck with power led. You see I'm looking at this connection for power led. Let me try to explain it to you about what I am looking at here. power led has 2 wires on a 3 hole connection. Now on that connection each wire is on one end on connector so that leaves the middle with no wire. when I tried to connect it, it's missin either side of connection if I plug one way or the other way. Does that help?

Oh By the way, When I turn on the computer from the back, everything comes on. Excpet for power led light, Still no light. Even when I press that power button, nothing happens. I'm gonna try reversing the power button wire and see if it helps.

Yes, that helps. On the back of that connector plug you should see the metal clips where the wires are clipped in to the plug. Get a pin, depress the clip and pull the wire out of one side of the plug. Push it back in to the middle hole. Your motherboard requires the two wires to be on adjacent pins. You can work out for yourself which way round it needs to go (obviously if it doesn't work try the wires the other way round.) That bit about the connectors needing to face the same way should be a useful starting point for determining which wire to move.

Edit: You've obviously got the connectors reversed :D

GUess what? I counted how many pins one side and the other side. I decided to switch whole connections around filling all the holes with pins and I got the power led light to lit up. I wonder do I have to wait few seconds or something before using power button to try and turn power off in front panel?

I sincerely hope you are disconnecting the power from that motherboard before making any changes whatsoever.

Switch off, disconnect the power lead or turn off the mains switch, make changes, turn it back on.

Even with the system shut doewn, there is still power in the motherboard, and changing things can blow the thing up!

Yeah I forgot to tell you this earlier. I always unplug the power cord bec I always use anti-static wrist band and I use the clip to clip on the power cord to the wall so I dont blow up anything.

So I guess that fixed everything now. I'm going to put the motherboard back in. While I'm at it, Should I use that red washer on top of mobo before screwing it in?

No.

This sentence is waffle used to fill up space, included purely becuase there is a 10 character minimum limit set for posts on DaniWeb!

Appreciate your help on this. THANKS!:D

HI, I turned the computer on. The Cpu fan is spinning and seems like everything is working except I get this in Monitor "No Signal Input or Cable Disconnected".

I dont know what else to do abot this. I reset the cmos jumper settings and double checked all the jumpers and all the connections.

You still using the onboard video? Check that the monitor cable is firmly attached. It could be loose. Checkl that the monitor cable is in good order. It could be broken.

Using an add-in card now? Check that it's firmly inserted in its slot.

I'm using the onboard video and what I had to do was, unhook monitor cables, mouse, and keyboard form my tower and hook it up to this barebone kit and get that message on that monitor "No Signal Input or cable Disconnected". So I had to unhook all of em and hook em back to my tower so I can get back online again to gte some feedback on this with you. So I know for fact the monitor cable is fine. Wonder if the onbaord video is bad? I hope not.

Bung an AGP card in it (temporarily if need be) and see if you get a display with that.

I dont have any extras for that.

Got one in that tower you mentioned? The motherboard you're trying to get working has AGP 3.0, so you won't do any damage to even the most recent of display cards by popping it in to test the thing out ;)

Got a friend who'll let you borrow a card for a quick check?

There should be nothing in the BIOS settings or motherboard jumpers which would completely disable the onboard video, (I've checked) so you can rule that out I reckon.

Sorta leaves only stuffed onboard video, stuffed BIOS or stuffed motherboard, doesn't it? If the thing runs fine with an AGP card fitted, then good and well.

Yeah I 'll ask a friend of mine to see if he got any extras that I can borrow to test it out tommorrow. Hope that fixes it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.