Hi-

I have a huge challenge that I can't figure out. I am trying to integrate the following hardware:

New Gear:
ECS GF7100PVT-M3 Motherboard
Antec EA-380 Powersupply
Intel E5200 Processor
2 MB generic RAM

Old Gear
Generic AT Case
A couple of old IDE hard drives, a few generic keyboard/mouse etc's

So I originally bought the new gear minus the Power Supply; my plan was to use an old 20 Pin-AT power supply. When I got it all hooked up and hit the power button, Only the case fan and processor fan came on. I spoke with an IT friend, who told me I needed to get a new PSU for this MB, because of the new ATX four pin plug.

So I ran down to Fry's and got the new PSU. The new PSU is 24 pin, plus it has the 4 pin ATX plug.

I got it all installed, and this time nothing fires. I notice that the new 24 pin plug has a breakaway on it that allows it to only be 20 pin. So I do the breakaway, and just plug in the 20 pin version. Still nothing. SO I try unplugging the 4 pin ATX plug, and sure enough, I'm back to square one. The case fan and processor fan come on, but nothing else.

I've tried resetting the CMOS. I do have a keyboard and mouse plugged in. I've swapped the ram with another PC. Both sets of ram work in both PC's. I've tried the monitor connected to both the VGA and the DVI connectors. I don't have any drives connected at all, in an attempt to just get to POST.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Something might be faulty on the motherboard or psu or misaligned (such as the cpu or ram). BTW, what is the power rating of the psu?

Something might be faulty on the motherboard or psu or misaligned (such as the cpu or ram). BTW, what is the power rating of the psu?

PSU is 380 watts. Old AT one was 400.

I did remove the CPU once and made sure it was installed properly. No difference.

I have tried the two different confirmed good RAMs.

Maybe really is bad MB?

I've built three or four previous boxes and never had a problem like this!

Do you have any other psu's you can try? 380 watts is very low; the motherboard may not be receiving adequate power after the cpu is powered.

Do you have any other psu's you can try? 380 watts is very low; the motherboard may not be receiving adequate power after the cpu is powered.

Hmm. I don't but may be able to poke around and borrow one.

The specs in the MB manual say "Minimum of 300 watts on a fully-configured system." I'd hesitate to call this fully-configured... I don't have anything except the MB connected to the PSU!

*Bump*

Any other ideas?

no need to bumb! you need to try a better psu first ,
also just for shits and whistles and not to confuse, its a ATX power supply with a P4 plug ,AT power supplies go way back to the 486 and early pentium computers.
I have seen this happen a few times now ,nothing working when p4 plug ,plugged in ,and it was the motheboard in all cases

OK, figured it out. When I took the old Mother Board off the case, I left behind a few of the screw studs attached to the case that the new MB didn't need for attachment. Those studs were probably shorting out the new MB, since it's working now. Thanks.

Its a good thing is was something so simple.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.