I've posted this in PCI problems as well so apologies if you've read it before
I've got an Asrock K7S41 M/B with a Duron 1300 processor and 1400 mbs RAM running WinXP Pro SP3, the machine has just the regular stuff with no cards currently or previously installed. I'm trying to instal a Radeon M9200 128mb PCI video card (with no independent power supply) but after bunging it in when I turn the machine on all I get is a black screen, it doesn't matter if the monitor is plugged into the new or old socket or if the card is in the alternative PCI socket (there are just 2). The same thing happens when I try and put in a Soundblaster sound card or an Xpert Vstream video capture card (both of which worked with my previous mobo) Should I instal the drivers/software first or do I need to change any BIOS settings before I instal the card? Can anyone help please?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Normally, when you insert add-on vga card, the mainboard will auto configure itself to add-on card. check your PSU first, maybe it's not powerful enough.

Normally, when you insert add-on vga card, the mainboard will auto configure itself to add-on card. check your PSU first, maybe it's not powerful enough.

Thanks Ali - how do I check the CPU power, all I know is that it's a Duron 1300? BTW when I check the BIOS I see that 'PCI devices power on' is not enabled - could this be a cause?

Power Supply Unit. Check the amp in 12V. Read the sticker on PSU. Seems like ypur PSU can't afford any additional card....

I know my machine's a bit old and clunky and it's been round the block a few times (a bit like me) but I don't want to give up on it yet. The CPU is about 7yrs old now and is sitting on its second MoBo but it was quite happy with the Soundblaster card and the video capture card before so how come it doesn't want to power them now? I thought CPUs just died when they got old, I didn't realise they went gaga like the rest of us oldies!

Sorry Ali I got my CPUs and PSUs mixed up there! BUT they're both the same age and have both happilly powered the soundblaster and vid capture carsd in the past so how come they don't want to do it now they're on a different MoBo?
Thanks again

Your second motherboard need more power than your first motherboard. And it's a common things that you PSU can't give enough power if it's more than 7 years...try to use newer PSU

Your second motherboard need more power than your first motherboard. And it's a common things that you PSU can't give enough power if it's more than 7 years...try to use newer PSU

Thanks Ali - yours is the first response I've had that makes any sense! If I update the PSU and also go for a faster CPU I'm guessing that should speed things up a bit eh?

I Agree.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.