Sitting on my computer last night and screen turned black. I had been poking around mcafee looking at firewall config but hadn't changed anything. Could BARELY make out display, but 90% sure the only thing displayed was my desktop. Could see task manager pop up when I hit ctrl alt del. Restarted computer and was fine. Happened again to my husband today. restarted computer screen was fine til it reached desktop after startup and then turned dark immediately.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Sitting on my computer last night and screen turned black. I had been poking around mcafee looking at firewall config but hadn't changed anything. Could BARELY make out display, but 90% sure the only thing displayed was my desktop. Could see task manager pop up when I hit ctrl alt del. Restarted computer and was fine. Happened again to my husband today. restarted computer screen was fine til it reached desktop after startup and then turned dark immediately.

I found the problem and am posting my own reply in case this helps anyone else. It was in fact the backlight inverter. We tested it and it wasn't working. A very hard piece to find, and one that HP won't sell-their only offer was to replace the whole LCD unit for $600+. I took the inverter out to find the part number and the only place i found it was Bliss Computers at http://www.247laptoprepair.com/
We replaced the inverter and my screen is working fine for only $75!

Note: inverter won't always be the cause of the problem, but its cheaper to try fixing that first.

Sitting on my computer last night and screen turned black.

Yeah, sitting on it will cause all kinds of problems! :lol:

Yup i had the same problem, i thnk some pieces are defective,

mine's is a hp dv5 1040

luckily its still in waranty, it started blacking out,

it randomly blacks out,

so sending it to service centre, they'd hv to replace it, bt i gues i'd lose all my settings and files and stuff, pro's and cons of service center i guess

Yup i had the same problem, i thnk some pieces are defective,

mine's is a hp dv5 1040

luckily its still in waranty, it started blacking out,

it randomly blacks out,

so sending it to service centre, they'd hv to replace it, bt i gues i'd lose all my settings and files and stuff, pro's and cons of service center i guess

if they are only replacing lcd ,why should you loose any data on the harddrive

in my laptop while connecting to projector,its showing no signal support.But its detecting the projector.still yesterday it was working fine.why its happening?

I just had an experience that makes me believe they are designing them to fail. The LCD screen on my HP Presario C700 became intermittent. I opened it all up and found that there was a small circuit board at the bottom of the screen that had exposed terminals right next to a grounding plate. If they touched, the screen lost backlight power. The only solution was to reboot. There was a small, soft buffer to keep these two parts separate, and it that got compressed, the short would happen. Now here's the weird thing. The grounding plate that creates the short is INTENTIONALLY there. It seems to have no other purpose than to be in close proximity to the charged circuit board. If you wanted to design something that would go out in a few years of use (but beyond the warranty policy), this would be a good way to design it!

I found the problem and am posting my own reply in case this helps anyone else. It was in fact the backlight inverter. We tested it and it wasn't working. A very hard piece to find, and one that HP won't sell-their only offer was to replace the whole LCD unit for $600+. I took the inverter out to find the part number and the only place i found it was Bliss Computers at http://www.247laptoprepair.com/
We replaced the inverter and my screen is working fine for only $75!

Note: inverter won't always be the cause of the problem, but its cheaper to try fixing that first.

I just had an experience that makes me believe they are designing them to fail. The LCD screen on my HP Presario C700 became intermittent. I opened it all up and found that there was a small circuit board at the bottom of the screen that had exposed terminals right next to a grounding plate. If they touched, the screen lost backlight power. The only solution was to reboot. There was a small, soft buffer to keep these two parts separate, and it that got compressed, the short would happen. Now here's the weird thing. The grounding plate that creates the short is INTENTIONALLY there. It seems to have no other purpose than to be in close proximity to the charged circuit board. If you wanted to design something that would go out in a few years of use (but beyond the warranty policy), this would be a good way to design it!

the top and bottom of my hp dv7 laptop is getting black it looks like a border bt it keeps gettin bigger everyday im afraid that one day when i turn on the laptop the screen will be black. please help

i have a laptop that is a presario c700 and the screen is black but the screen wont work but its not been charged for awhile i'm just woundering if thats the reason but i cant see it being that i could really do with some help at trying to get it fixed.

without having to paying to get a new screen id rather have it fixed than have to replace the screen.

yeah mine isn't working its a toshiba 17-16
I can barely read words on the screen it's half turned on actually its dark
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hlp meeee i have important information on my lp I need them plz help me :'( :'(

commented: Stop this, it annoys me -2

yeah mine isn't working its a toshiba 17-16
I can barely read words on the screen it's half turned on actually its dark
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hlp meeee i have important information on my lp I need them plz help me :'( :'(

so just hook it to a external computer monitor ,and you will be able to see windows .
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000801.htm

That's the reason why I am discourage of HP Laptops, because based from the experience of my classmate, she also had the same problem. That's she really regrets buying it. It also made her eye problem worst.

That's the reason why I am discourage of HP Laptops, because based from the experience of my classmate, she also had the same problem. That's she really regrets buying it. It also made her eye problem worst.

most if not all laptop makers who sell cheap laptop to the general public have inferior models

1. I do not DO facebook.

2. My HP laptop a G72 is going black all of the time. I have taken a few measures but the forced shut downs are causing me to loose critical data, in databases that should not lose a single record.

3. Discovery: I had more than 12 software vendors UPDATERs working and scheduled for all different times of the day to update - not voluntarily installed but by the vendors.

4. On said computer, I deleted all of those .exe files with the word updater with a few exceptions.

5. I installed then removed anti spyware and malware software. Neither helped and only caused my system to become damaged thereby causing me to restore my system.

6. I purchased a new battery. These laptop batteries are just like all batteries - they are cylinders with acid in them - and they can be recharged but not forever.

7. I am preparing for the worst. I have insurance on this computer for a few more months, but I don't think the company I bought it from will replace it; it might. The electronic descriptions in the prior entries suggest that this is a manufacturing problem and resides with the manufacturer, HP, which is as I understand it, going out of the laptop business.

8. I don't use the laptop monitor - I use an external monitor and both go dark but the external is just fine as a piece of equipment.

its possible its an OS problem, Operating system problem, so might need an re-installation of the OS

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.