I recently ordered an EVGA Nvidia Geforce 260 GTX and I didnt have enough 4-pins to adapt to the 2 4-pin to 6-pin adapters needed to plug in the card. so i went and got a couple 4-pin Y splitters and now i have enough to at least plug my video card in, but when i did plug it in, my monitor didn't display anything. I thought something mustn't be plugged in right and i tinkered with everything possible. I had already turned off the on-board graphics card in my motherboard and switched the BIOS to pci-e graphics detection (the only option other than Onboard) so that my previous video card would work. But it gets worse... After many restarts and trying different options with my onboard video, my onboard video stopped working after a restart. Which is where I thought it's gotta be my power supply. I tried my old video card and that didn't work either. Thing is, all of my fans and everything are running fine with my power supply but i think iv'e fried it with the adapters to this huge new video card. Its a 2006 power supply but it has a 600W Max, and 500W minimum required for my card, i thought i could get away with splitting a couple of 4-pins. Also my power supply's fan is operating in spurts, wich i never noticed before and im thinking that's a bit off. I'm having my slightly more computer-smart brother come over tomorrow and see if my power supply theory is correct.

and yes, my computer is POSTing

Look at the sticker at your PSU. GTX 260 needs more than 31A at 12V+ rails. It doesn't matter what PSU you have, but pay attention at 12V+ rail(s). Sometimes cheapo PSU says it can do 600W max, but in 12V+ rails it can only give 20A... Try better PSU like Corsair VX550, if you can afford a GTX 260, I'm sure it's not a big deal to buy much better PSU.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.