We have a friend's computer. It's a really old HP and a desktop, not a tower. We cannot remove the hard drive. It seems to be on a slide out tray but the tray gets hung up on something we cannot see. Vectra VL is on the power switch box. It's pretty old. Anyone know how to get this hard drive out. It's a 4Mb drive.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

U have to check for all lock of hard drive and try to unlock and try to remove hard drive

Is the HDD located under the power supply? If yes, and if I remember corectly, the HDD can be pulled out toward the back of the case, after you removed the PSU...

Is the HDD located under the power supply? If yes, and if I remember corectly, the HDD can be pulled out toward the back of the case, after you removed the PSU...

You're good, but... that's excatly where it is located. We removed the power supply and we tried pulling from the back but it slides about 1 inch and hangs up on something. You should have seen how many flashlights we had on that thing,,,, looked like a Car Dealer's place with spotlights, hahahaha, never could find what it was hanging up on but we do need to remove it eventually. Currently strapping another drive in and using the drive sitting on the bottom/top (it's upside down right now) and will build a new drive for him but the case won't hold two drives so original drive MUST be removed eventually.
Thank you so much, frossk, hope we are successful, if not maybe we can find an old machine in the garage to give to him, but I was hoping to recover his data. (Backups??? very old ones on floppies)

PS: had a heck of a time finding my thread. Found it through 'users logged in'. I checked to receive an email but no email. Oh well, I got your most welcome reply. ;)

It's not upside down. Sorry! If you know how we can strap the original as a secondary drive I would appreciate your sharing that. Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.