:sad: just go done putting in a new hd in my wifes powermac G3 beige tower and when trying to install OS i get this message : A VALID DESTONATION VOLUME CANNOT BE FOUND??? what the hell does that mean?? its a brand new drive fresh out of the box seagate 40 gig barracuda please help? using OS SYSTEM 9 :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Did you try and reformat it for HFS+ first?

tried puttng in os8.1 get as far as destonation screen and i get the message " A VALID DESTONATION VOLUME CANT BE FOUND "whats with that?

Did you run the Drive Setup and format the disk? I believe with 8.1 you have to use HFS, as it's not HFS+ aware. Anyway, why such and old (old old old) OS?

Did you run the Drive Setup and format the disk? I believe with 8.1 you have to use HFS, as it's not HFS+ aware. Anyway, why such and old (old old old) OS?

OS 8.1 will run very well on that hardware-- I think that's what it originally shipped with, anyways. But, you need to run Drive Setup first if that's a brand new hard drive.

As a matter of historical fact, OS 8.0 was the first OS to ship with HFS+, supporting a greater than 2GB volume without ugly kludges. If you really want to get a nice system on that G3, try running OS 8.6-- that's my usual choice for hardware of that vintage.

As a matter of historical fact, OS 8.0 was the first OS to ship with HFS+, supporting a greater than 2GB volume without ugly kludges.

Thanks for the info. I've not had an OS8 box to support in a long, long, long time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.