Hi, my montor is blurry in the center and more focused around the outer edges. This seems to have an effect only on text and is drving my eyes crazy. The monitor is an HP mx75, about 3 years old. I have reinstalled the video drivers already with no success. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

1. That sounds more like a problem within the monitor itself; can you eliminate or verify that possibility by connecting the monitor to another computer?

2. If the monitor has a decent built-in configuration menu, you can try twiddling with its convergence/alignment/focus/moire settings. Also try degaussing it if it has that option.

3. If, by any chance, you have any devices on/near the monitor which emit an electromagnetic field (speakers, for example)- move them.

1. That sounds more like a problem within the monitor itself; can you eliminate or verify that possibility by connecting the monitor to another computer?

2. If the monitor has a decent built-in configuration menu, you can try twiddling with its convergence/alignment/focus/moire settings. Also try degaussing it if it has that option.

3. If, by any chance, you have any devices on/near the monitor which emit an electromagnetic field (speakers, for example)- move them.

DMR, I tried another monitor and for an hour it seemed to be better but now it has gotten blurry again. Any ideas? I think it must be the video card- but I just bought it a few months ago brand new. XFX 5200 128 MB card by nvidia.
I have tried all settings on the monitors as well as degauss.

So a second monitor was OK at first, but got blurry after a short while too?

- Did the image degradation happen over time, or did the monitor just seem to kick out of focus at some point?

- When did you originally start noticing the problem, and was there anything that happened around that time (power problems, hardware/software changes, etc.) that might account for it?

If it isn't a problem with the monitor itself, these would be the other likely possibilities:

- The monitor cable (if you used the same one on both monitors, obviously).

- The driver could be an issue. Boot the computer into Safe Mode; that will force Windows to use its own generic VGA driver. See if you get the blurriness with that driver.

- The video card itself, even if new, could be failing. If a piece of electronic equipment is going to fail, it isn't uncommon for that to happen within the first three or so months of use.

- Although it doesn't sound the most likely cause in this case, electrical/electromagnetic interference could be the culprit. This could be introduced anywhere along the signal chain unfortunately, from a device within your computer "leaking" an interfering signal into the video card to something near your monitor throwing a magnetic field which is pulling the beam(s) out of focus. Eliminating those possibilities is a processs of trial-and- error:

- move or reposition the monitor.
- move other cards in your computer (and cables) away from the video card.
- try a different electrical circuit if possible.

So a second monitor was OK at first, but got blurry after a short while too?

- Did the image degradation happen over time, or did the monitor just seem to kick out of focus at some point?

- When did you originally start noticing the problem, and was there anything that happened around that time (power problems, hardware/software changes, etc.) that might account for it?

If it isn't a problem with the monitor itself, these would be the other likely possibilities:

- The monitor cable (if you used the same one on both monitors, obviously).

- The driver could be an issue. Boot the computer into Safe Mode; that will force Windows to use its own generic VGA driver. See if you get the blurriness with that driver.

- The video card itself, even if new, could be failing. If a piece of electronic equipment is going to fail, it isn't uncommon for that to happen within the first three or so months of use.

- Although it doesn't sound the most likely cause in this case, electrical/electromagnetic interference could be the culprit. This could be introduced anywhere along the signal chain unfortunately, from a device within your computer "leaking" an interfering signal into the video card to something near your monitor throwing a magnetic field which is pulling the beam(s) out of focus. Eliminating those possibilities is a processs of trial-and- error:

- move or reposition the monitor.
- move other cards in your computer (and cables) away from the video card.
- try a different electrical circuit if possible.

Thanks, I'll give those a try and report back tomorrow.

OK- keep us posted. Those really are the only possible causes I can think of given the info you've posted so far...

Look for the following:

- Ionic air cleaner

- Something magnetic near the monitor

- Hair spray getting on the screen (don't laugh - it happened here)

- Something the janitors are using to clean the monitor.

- Need glasses?

I have seen drivers SLIP and give what are actually three verticle bands of out of focus text on the screen. One dead center and one more on either side of that. It was fixed by selecting the correct make and model of monitor in the hardware setup and not using the default monitor setup

Hi there, I'm new so please forgive me if I don't do something right. Maybe should make a new post for this, but anyway, I'm having a problem with pics on my monitor being blurry. I switched hard drives and monitor was still blurry. Its not the whole screen, and not usually text (seems like only texts that are actually a graphic). I spent some time on chat support with Dell (my computer is Dell) and they said it's a problem with my MS Publisher?? I do have that on here, and yes, some of the clipart in there is blurry as well. I've also discovered that when I right click on a picture, way down at the bottom of the menu it gives me the option of "view original image"! And when I clicked on that, suddenly the image becomes clear! If I clicked in a "nowhere zone" it would say "view all original images on page" and likewise, things would become clear when I clicked that. What would be causing this?? could it be MS Publisher? it's happenind on the internet too.. like the letters in "Google" when I go there are blurry. It was suggested that I uninstall MS Publisher, but I'm not sure how to just uninstall that alone, without uninstalling all of MS Office 2003, ya know? And I'm looking for some other opinions on this before uninstalling anything. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.