Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I am building a new computer and have never made more than the one partition. I would like to partition into two partitions. One strictly for the os and the other for all else. Does that seem like the correct thing to do? Where is the best place to go to find step for step instructions on exactly how to do this? It is a seagate barracuda 120 pata hard drive. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

So you don't have anything installed on the drive yet? If not, then during the install of XP you'll be able to partition however you want. It's easy to do, just read what's on the screen. If you already have data on the drive in one big C: drive then you are going to need some special software like Partition Magic to resize the partitions without losing any data.

This is a brand new install.

It will be a peice of cake then. Towards the beginning of the Windows XP install it will let you partition the drive how you would like. If you get stuck, just let us know.

I guess I assumed you are installing XP on your new computer. If it isn't XP, then let us know.

This is xp pro.

How do I want to partition it?

Well everyone will give you a different answer. But I'd make C: 20GB and D: 100GB.

Well, I am building a new computer with the specs listed below. It has a 250gb hdd. If I partition it people have said make the os part around 30gb. OK, no problem. I will put os and install all programs on this side. Right?? So the next partition I will go in after I get into the os and all is installed and make the next part 220 or what is left. Right???
Well, my next question is going to be long. I install itunes on os part (we'll call it c). I will be transferring all my songs for itunes from my other computer to this one. ??Install on C? or the big partition (called D). Install Napster on C transfer songs from other computer to C or D? I think you get what I am asking.
When I install a picture program Microsoft Digital Image 10 for instance install on C and where do I transfer my pictures to c or d?
Then when all is installed where will my pictures go C or D and how do I get them there? I have worked with many computers but never taken the plunge to do this so I am a little apprehensive. I wish I could just talk to someone on the phone and ask them some questions.
I install pinnacle studio 9 does all my video go to c or d?? These are some of the questions I have. I have it down how to partition I just don't get where everything goes and how I make sure it gets there. Also, if I should make more than 2 partitions and why I should even partition at all. If I do make more than 2 what would be the advantage of it??
As the mighty whizbang said earlier
The other partition can be subdivided by folders, such as one for downloads, one for data, and another for backup to OS, another for stored CDs,...etc. how do you go about doing this????

Does this sound good for partitions?
35 OS and apps
35 Data and some games(not many)
25 Pictures
25 Music
100 Video
20 Backup - OS

Whooha, too many partitions! If you do feel comfortable with that level of organisation, then by all means go ahead, but I think you're breaking things down a little too much! I would just have a single system partition for Windows, with at least 10Gb of space. If you want to install programs on it, allocate a little more (I'm not telling you how much - you should know!). Allocate the rest to a single storage partition for all your other stuff and games. Should Windows ever implode or you feel like starting afresh, then all you need to do is backup a few odds and ends on the system partition and then format it, leaving the storage partition intact.

Would three be ok?
OS and apps-30
Data, music, pics,-80
Video-140
Does this make sense?

Would three be ok?
OS and apps-30
Data, music, pics,-80
Video-140
Does this make sense?

It's up to you mate. Personally, I would just combine data/music/pics and video into one big partition.

That's what I decided to do.
os
data, vid etc
backup ??? not sure what but for something

Ok I started to load xp. I did the first partition at 30gb for the os. Now for the rest which will be two partitions where can I find info on what to do next. How do I create the other partitions?

Ok I started to load xp. I did the first partition at 30gb for the os. Now for the rest which will be two partitions where can I find info on what to do next. How do I create the other partitions?

You could have created the other two partitions during Windows setup. Otherwise, it can be done via Control Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management.

Along with putting apps on the partitions I have microsoft digital image suite10. It comes with two discs one being the installation disc and the other being the clip art and project templates. I don't need the 2nd disc installed for it to work but everytime I need it I will have to put it in. It does take up about 750mb of space. Could I put this in the big partition away from the os and apps because it does not need to be a part of the program to function is what it says. Anyone know anything about the suite10? Thanks.

Programs do not have to be installed on the system drive to work. You can change the install folder.

Programs do not have to be installed on the system drive to work. You can change the install folder.

Could you give me an example of how I would do this? Thanks.

I have a question about moving the files to my second partition called D: drive. I have moved my music and my pictures with no problem using tweak ui but want to know about my documents. This folder is a little different because it says documents and settings etc. What if any special procedure should I use to move it from the C:drive to D?

When installing programs, specify a different install location. Easy as that.

You cannot move the Documents & Settings folder (not easily anyway). However, you can move the My Dcouments folder. Right click it, properties and change the target folder location.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.