Is it possible that there is a loose cable? Or is it possible that the motherboard is damaged?

all things are possible !!
only you can check things like loose wires and damaged motherboard ,we cant check them for you from afar .good luck

i have a dell inspiron 8600 and i ran the diagnostic test and the hard drive (DST) failed. idk what kind of operating system is on my laptop for i got it from a friend, any one have any ideas?

i have a dell inspiron 8600 and i ran the diagnostic test and the hard drive (DST) failed. idk what kind of operating system is on my laptop for i got it from a friend, any one have any ideas?

your friend could have put any one of a dozen different os on it , maybe he'd be the best one to ask or look on the bottom it should have a sticker on it ,if its windows with the os version written on it

Thank you all for your help. All of you...my computer is actually working...don't want to jinx it, because it is only 24% completed, but without people like you guys, people like me would be spending thousands...I spent my whole Saturday frustrated over this. Now, I can pay it forward :)

hey, I did the start-up test and it falid on Short DST, I want to fix it whitout losing all my stuff like pictures because they are very valuable. I'm not very good with computers so can you say it in normal english whithout all those computer terms?

thanx

P.S. the failurecode is: 6363M0-515627-XD03GK-60V003

I had the same problem ("dst short test failure") and I only needed to replace the HDD. It's only about a little HDD communication error.

Getting a message from another computer that won't re boot properly, "could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll Please re-install a copy of the above file."
What does this mean? How does this happen? If I don't have the start up disc, is there ANY WAY to access my computer? Yipes!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.