My PC problem is similar to the one another member had 3 months ago in that if left without input for about 2 mins, it shuts down then restarts automatically.
My Power Options Properties are currently set as follows:
In Power Scheme:
Turn off Monitor after 20mins
Turn off Hard Drives after 30 mins
System Standby after 45 mins
System Hibernation Never
In Advanced
Power button set to Standby
and UPS is stopped - I don't have one!
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks guys & dolls.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Does it ever do it while your using it, our is exclusive to sitting idle when it reboots?

I'm gonna assume we're talking about XP here. First make sure its not the automatic restart. MS decided that we didn't want to see BSOD's, so XP is set by default to restart if an error occurs. Go to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup & Recovery Settings. Make sure Automatically Restart is unchecked. Now, if you are having an error, you will get a Blue Screen with some info that will hopefully lead you to a solution.

Does it ever do it while your using it, our is exclusive to sitting idle when it reboots?

Only does it as result of sitting idle for short while, never when in use which puzzled me somewhat. Had it happened while in use, you could have possibly nailed it to the program being used but it does not do this. Any suggestions?
GoldenOldie

I'm gonna assume we're talking about XP here. First make sure its not the automatic restart. MS decided that we didn't want to see BSOD's, so XP is set by default to restart if an error occurs. Go to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup & Recovery Settings. Make sure Automatically Restart is unchecked. Now, if you are having an error, you will get a Blue Screen with some info that will hopefully lead you to a solution.

Had looked at that possibility and the box is unchecked but have not seen the blue screen that I know would have given me a clue on where to look for a possible solution. Frustrating isn't it!Incidently, I have been build my own PC's for years and belong to and am a founder member of our local PC User Group. I was at our monthly meeting last night and none of the members attending could offer anything more than I've already tried, including the two suggestions made so far on this forum but thanks anyway. Put your thinking cap on again please and any further help would be appreciated. Cheers,
GoldeOldie

swop your keyboard and mouse with another set
should work fine

If that doesn't work I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fans, as it only happens in idle. There may be a configuration or short fault with the hardware causing a reboot signal. try taking the reboot switch of the mobo and see if it will idle.

My PC also only does it when it's been idle for a couple of minutes. Have you found the answer to this problem because I followed (yet again) the advice from 'Plente' and was presented with a screenful of info when it did the auoto restart this morning but have yet to check it out. Am still using my PC for some urgent work I need to complete today and as long as it's not left idle, things are OK. Also, I can put it into standby if need be 'cos this works OK too.
Goldie

My PC problem is similar to the one another member had 3 months ago in that if left without input for about 2 mins, it shuts down then restarts automatically.
My Power Options Properties are currently set as follows:
In Power Scheme:
Turn off Monitor after 20mins
Turn off Hard Drives after 30 mins
System Standby after 45 mins
System Hibernation Never
In Advanced
Power button set to Standby
and UPS is stopped - I don't have one!
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks guys & dolls.

You had forgotten to mention the brand of ur pc...I think the problem is in with your RAM...Try cleaning ur RAM very well and also the slot for RAM..Clean it firmly with a cloth..If u hav a blower its quite ok....Try this method cuz I had a same prob like this before in my PC

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.