Hi I’m having trouble with two new memory modules I have bought, system is as follows.

Laptop: Acer Travelmate 4150
Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.60 GHz
Chipset: Intel® 915GM/915PM Express chipset
Memory: 512 MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory, upgradeable to 2 GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support)
512 KB flash ROM BIOS
BIOS Version 1.80

I have recently purchased a RAM upgrade for my Acer Travelmate 4150 System, Kit of 2x 1GB 200pin soDIMM 128MX64 DDR2 PC2-5300 from Crucial.com, as it was running slowly since installing Vista. Following the installation instructions, I removed the cover on the underside of the laptop and removed the original 1x 512MB module. I then installed the 2 new modules into the two memory slots in the bank.

On restarting the laptop it ran through BIOS then the screen went blank! I checked the troubleshooting guide on crucial.com which included installing both 1GB modules individually in both slots of the bank, with which they both worked fine showing 1GB in the system . However they just won’t work together!

As mentioned I bought the RAM modules from Crucial.com and they were the ones suggested for the laptop, found via their system scanner tool to be the recommended maximum installation for my system. After troubleshooting to no effect I phoned crucial and they claimed my problem maybe in the software on the laptop and to contact Acer. Acer themselves claimed the memory modules maybe have an incompatible running speed for the laptop (they recommend 400GHz or 533GHz) I am unsure of the running speed of these modules (Possibly 667GHz if they are PC2-5300 modules) and whether this would have an effect on their running as crucial also claimed that many other identical spec memory kits have been bought for the same system and had no problems!

I am also aware that there is a BIOS upgrade available for the motherboard but unsure whether this would make the difference.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you have any suggestions on what the problem is I would be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks again.

Mark

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'd accept the Acer advice on this one. Crucial guarantees their memory, so just return it and get something else.
I had a similar problem on my ASUS board and was able to lower the speed in the BIOS, but I don't know if you have this option.

Hello guys.........my laptop the acer travel mate 4150 is not working........when i turn it on it stays on but just keeps beeping without going to the start up screen.....my brother says it is the ram but im not to sure.....please reply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.