Hi
Last week I installed a new 40GB Seagate hard disk and 2 X 256MB RAM on my laptop but a few days ago I accidently knocked the laptop very very slightly on the table then the screen went black :sad: !! I turned off then restarted and got this message:

"the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

you can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
original setup CD-ROM select 'r' at the 1st screen to repair"

the trouble is I don't I have a setup disk as this is a Toshiba
Satellite, only a product recovery CD-ROM that can only restore an image of the original installation... I had an idea that I could copy the system file from my old drive which I did, then I was going to burn it on a bootable CD but I realised I'm not sure how to create a bootable CD but also have files on the CD that can be accessed once you've booted (I have a shared CD/floppy bay so can't use both at same time).. can anyone help please?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi
Last week I installed a new 40GB Seagate hard disk and 2 X 256MB RAM on my laptop but a few days ago I accidently knocked the laptop very very slightly on the table then the screen went black :sad: !! I turned off then restarted and got this message:

"the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

you can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
original setup CD-ROM select 'r' at the 1st screen to repair"

the trouble is I don't I have a setup disk as this is a Toshiba
Satellite, only a product recovery CD-ROM that can only restore an image of the original installation... I had an idea that I could copy the system file from my old drive which I did, then I was going to burn it on a bootable CD but I realised I'm not sure how to create a bootable CD but also have files on the CD that can be accessed once you've booted (I have a shared CD/floppy bay so can't use both at same time).. can anyone help please?

Thanks

It's always a good idea to have the original restore CD on hand. Contact Toshiba support, they'll be able to send you an original disk for a few dollars.

Avi

I have the restore CD but its not like a proper Windows XP CD as it has no repair function you can't extract files from it and replace them on the drive... what I want to know is how can I make a boot CD but also create a copy of the file that I need to replace and put it on the CD so it will be readable then I can copy it over to the HD?

Thx

Borrow someone else's Windows CD and use that.

I don't know anyone that uses XP they all use 2000 Me or 98!!! :rolleyes: Does anyone know how to make a boot CD that will also contain files that I can then copy to the hard drive???

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that specific laptop (I use a Fujitsu Lifebook) but most recent laptops will have the capacity to meet your need.

Visit www.toshiba.com

Click on Product support, scroll down to the section about Computers, and click on "Toshiba Computer Service and Support Website".

Then choose 'Search with AskIris", enter the product family (Satellite) and model number of your laptop, and search for 'repair Windows' or similar terms. You will quite likely uncover instructions for performing the job on your laptop.

You might find that the necessary files are on a 'hidden' partition on your hard drive already, or that there is a menu you can access via keypress during the power-up process.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.